This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

There is always something happening. Some event, some crisis, some tragedy that comes knocking on our doors, asking for our help. Without fail, before one can end its parade in the news, the next big thing takes over the headlines, and it congests our timeline with enraged shouts, asking for our participation. 

It always fills me with sorrow hearing about the tragedies in our own country or overseas, always wondering how humans are capable of such cruelty. The incidents spread across all geography and all classes, but it feels like only your average citizen answers to its call. A deafening silence echoes from those above, not willing to put their own power or money on the line to relieve the problem they so easily could positively contribute to. And so the burden falls on the normal person. We seem to be the only ones who amplify the message, raise awareness, or donate money while no one else gives, and because of our limited resources, we can’t provide as much assistance as the occasion needs. Especially if that incident involves a minority group, it gets even less attention and resources than it deserves. 

As we watch the crisis extend longer and longer, we are left with the despair that resonates within those who try. At times like that, all I can feel is a sense of helplessness. Why must we be the only ones to fight against injustice? Why can’t anyone else use their power and help? Most of all, why can’t all of this cruelty just stop. Even if there is any help, those at the top only seem to focus on the artificial aspects of tragedy, rarely scratching the vast surface underneath. The reconstruction of Notre Dame in Paris that was burned down by a fire had millions of dollars in donations by billionaires while the food crisis in Yemen, known to be “world’s worst famine in 100 years,” barely received funds to improve its plight. 

While we must feel proud of what we do and continue to support those in need, more must be done by those with a greater ability to help. Although they are not entitled to spend their money in any way, to live humanely, those with great power must exercise the great responsibility that comes with it to aid those that cannot provide themselves a safe, stable life. We cannot choose the life we are born into, so it is illogical to not assist those who received the unlucky end of the draw as they are subjected to hunger, cruelty, or unstable living conditions. 

And so everyone must pay attention, everyone must care. More must be done, but a real impact can only be made to improve the lives of millions when everyone contributes to resolving crises around the world – not just the everyday person. 

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/04/25/billionaires-rushed-save-notre-dame-amid-backlash-economists-now-say-they-may-have-pledged-more-than-needed/

Hi! My name is Meghana Jalagam, and I am a senior at MSU. I am double majoring in neuroscience and psychology, and I am on the pre-med track. My passions outside of school are dancing, reading, writing, trying new foods, and being social!