This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Helen Berger

Year: Senior

Major: Supply Chain Management 

Hometown: Huntington Woods, MI

So, Helen, how are you feeling at the start of your senior year at MSU?

Um, I’m excited and nervous. I’m excited to spend my senior year with my best friends, but I’m nervous for what comes after graduation and trying to figure out what my next step is in life after college. 

Where are you hoping to end up after college right now?

I’m hoping to move somewhere away from home, whether that’s an hour or 20. I really hope I find somewhere that I can be happy in a full-time professional job and starting to create a path for myself. 

What advice would you give to students starting out at MSU right now? 

Don’t try and force college to be the best four years of your life. Make them four great years, but your college self is not all you’re going to turn out to be in life.   

Let’s reflect on some of what you’ve done while at MSU. Tell me about some of your favorite moments from college. 

Joining the Izzone my freshman year of college has led me to a lot of great friendships. Also, taking advantage of the Broadway tickets for students at the Wharton Center with my bestie Tay Tay. Joining a club that benefits non-profits in the local area. And, being able to live with my three best friends!

Tell me more about the club you’re in that benefits non-profits in the Greater Lansing area, that sounds awesome!

The club is called Student Consulting for Non-Profits. Each semester the club of about 25 students finds four or five charities that need help restructuring their business strategy. Throughout the whole semester, we get to work on their marketing plan and help them better track their volunteer hours and learn about why they’re so passionate about the charity they started. Often times, in the competitive world of business it’s hard to find people who are truly passionate about what they do and getting to see these non-profit owners work towards their dreams every day is inspiring. 

Could you ever see yourself starting a non-profit or doing this kind of work full-time?

I could definitely see myself doing this kind of work. I think finding a charity that you can align your passions to makes you happy. That would be one of the most fulfilling jobs you could find. 

What do you think you’ve gained from being a Spartan that you couldn’t have gotten going anywhere else? 

Oh my gosh, that’s like a question someone would ask me on tours. I think I’ve gained more personal and professional relationships that I hope to carry on for years to come that I couldn’t have gained elsewhere. I feel like the relationships I made here are grounded in truth and honesty and loyalty, which are things I really value that have come with my Spartan experience. 

Last but not least, how are you planning to make your final year at MSU the best one yet? 

So, I’ve got a senior year bucket list — the quintessential senior year bucket list. I’ve already crossed off going to the Broad Art Museum and seeing the Spartan Marching Band march into the football game. I hope to complete all the other items on my list with my friends by my side to make senior year the greatest one yet!

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.