samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HCMSU Sits Down with Desiree Siegfried from The Bachelor/Bachelorette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

How has your life changed since you got married?

It really hasn’t changed much except for my last name changing. We still do everything we did before getting married and plan to continue to grow in our marriage.

When did you realize Chris was the one?

From the very beginning, we just clicked and everything came so natural.  When I met his family and saw how well we fit into each other’s lives, that’s when I knew he would be the one for me. Also, I never wanted to say goodbye to him which was also how I knew.

Describe your experiences being on The Bachelor and The Bachelorette.

I had a great experience on both shows. I met longtime friends from being on The Bachelor and met my husband on the other, so I will forever be grateful for the opportunity.

Would you do anything differently on either show if you had to do it again?

I wouldn’t change anything that happened because it all happened for a reason and led me to where I am now, but I would have maybe been more prepared with wardrobe and makeup.

Are you still friends with any of the other girls who were contestants on Sean’s season? Do you think you made lifelong friends from being on the show?

I am, and I definitely will be friends with some of them forever. We all kind of keep in touch too because it’s an experience and a bond that will always be a part of our lives.

Did you attend Sean and Catherine’s wedding? And did any of your friends from The Bachelor attend your wedding?

We did attend their wedding, and it was really beautiful. We had a few Bachelor Alum at our wedding including Jason and Molly Mesnick, Ali Fedotowsky, Daniella Mcbride, Michael, Zak and Brooks.

If you hadn’t been chosen to be The Bachelorette, who would you have liked to see as The Bachelorette from your season?

I would have loved to see Lesley Murphy be the Bachelorette because she’s witty and mature enough to handle that many guys, and she has a great personality.

Did you watch this season of The Bachelor?

We did watch it and loved seeing Chris Soules find love. A happy ending is always the best kind of ending.

What did you think of Chris ending up with Whitney?  

I think that they are a good match for each other and both are ready to start a family and settle down.

What did you think of the two bachelorette idea? Are you Team Britt or Team Kaitlyn?

I’m not sure how I feel about it. At first I didn’t care for the idea because that doesn’t empower a woman in any way by making her compete with another for the man’s attention. I understand that that’s how it goes on The Bachelor, but The Bachelorette should be about the woman finding the right guy, not beating out another girl just to have that privilege of being the right lady for the job. I think we will all watch it and love the drama it brings, but I wish it would have just been one or the other. We all have preferences in who we would like to see as The Bachelorette, and I like them both for different reasons.

What are the main things you look for in a guy?

Sincerity, loyalty, humor, and kindness.

Do you have any advice for women on finding love and finding your perfect match that you learned from being The Bachelorette?

I had a lot of dating experience prior to going onto the show and have learned a lot through it all. The most important thing that I have learned is that you must fully love and understand yourself before someone else will be able to fully. Also, to live your life as you always have (following dreams, keeping up with interests) and to let him in your life without compromising it, just to be in his. If he’s not pursuing you, then let him go. The chase can be fun but isn’t worth it in the end.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian