This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We all have movies we associate with one time of year, regardless of when the movie takes place or what it’s about. For me, Harry Potter is a non-Christmas Christmas movie, simply because of the NBC marathon that happened every Christmas day. Here are some movies that may not be Halloween movies, but are perfect to watch during the Halloween season!

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

This is a whimsical movie based on Roald Dahl’s book of the same name, following a fox and his animal friends as they wreak havoc on three evil farmers. With an impressive voice cast, this claymation Wes Anderson film is perfect for a cold fall day, wrapped in blankets as the leaves fall outside. Pair it with a hot cup of cider, and one of Mrs. Bean’s Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps, and take in the fall and Halloween vibes. You can stream it on Disney+ or Prime Video.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

This Tim Burton classic is perfect for anyone who enjoys a creepy, yet wholesome, romance. After his scientist creator dies, Edward is left unfinished with scissors for hands, outcast from society until a suburban housewife brings him in. This haunting fairy tale, with both Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder, is best paired with a dark October night and a pet of your choice. You can stream it on Sling TV, Prime Video, or Hulu (with the Starz add-on).

Mean Girls (2004)

The epitome of our teenage years, Mean Girls is the ultimate fall girls night movie choice. When Cady moves from Africa to Illinois, she is quickly absorbed into the top clique of the school, the Plastics, before recognizing how their name came to be. Throw on your best Mean Girls costumes (“I’m a mouse, duh!”), get the girls together, with masks of course, and watch the most iconic Halloween party unfold on screen! You can stream it on Hulu (with the Showtime add-on) or Prime Video

Coraline (2009)

The first 3-D stop-motion film, by Laika Studios, is a dark, unsettling children’s movie following Coraline Jones, a miserable young girl uprooted by a family move, who quickly learns that even the most perfect life is much more dark than it seems. Enjoy a feast worthy of the Other Mother as you watch this creepy film! You can stream it on Prime Video or Hulu (with the Starz add-on).

Beetlejuice (1988)

This cult classic is perfect for the Halloween season! When the Deetzes buy the home of the dead Maitland’s, the Maitland’s swear they’ll get their home back no matter what. This summons Beetlejuice, a spirit who does more bad than good to the Maitland’s and Lydia, the teenage daughter of the Deetzes. Another Tim Burton film with a killer cast, this comedic tale of death is great to end a stressful October day. You can stream it on Prime Video or Hulu (with Live TV).

Bonus! The Harry Potter Series (2001-2011)

How could I discuss fall movies and leave out one of the defining series of our childhoods? We’ve all dreamed of going back to school at Hogwarts, eating Chocolate Frogs and watching the Great Hall transform into a Halloween wonderland. Have a Harry Potter marathon, if you think you can handle all 8 movies in one day! You can stream the entire series for free on Peacock.

Although this Halloween is not what we’re used to, with the help of these films we can still make it memorable! Have a happy Halloween, and remember to stay safe! Happy streaming!

Grace is a Zoology major with a pre-veterinary concentration. She plans on becoming a Zoo Veterinarian, preferably at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the Australia Zoo. She enjoys activism, exploring nature, thrifting, and consuming excessive amounts of iced coffee. Grace likes to paint, watch anime, take care of plants, and obsess over frogs, cats, raccoons and possums in her free time.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.