Go Green, Go Fright: 7 Spooky MSU-Themed Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Spooky movies, pumpkin-spiced everything, and — my personal favorite — costumes. There’s no better opportunity to dress in your craziest clothes, and with the MSU-Umich game falling on Halloween weekend this year, it seems only right to show some school spirit during the holiday. Whether you’re going out with friends or staying in with a good slasher, these MSU-themed Halloween costumes are sure to be a victory.

D1 Athlete

What would MSU be without its athletics? This costume is pretty simple. Just put on your favorite player’s jersey, grab a football, basketball, or your sports prop of choice, and you’re set for the night. Bonus points if you get your friends to dress up too and go out as the whole team.

Zeke the Wonder Dog

This one goes right along with your team of athletes. Pick up a dog ears headband from a Halloween store and you can become MSU’s favorite halftime entertainment. Just don’t forget your frisbee!

The Ghost of Mayo Hall

Here’s an opportunity to really embrace spookiness. You could don some 1860s garb and dress as Mary Mayo herself, or you could go for the classic sheet with eyeholes and be possessed by her ghost for the night. Try not to scare yourself when you look in the mirror.

Alumni

MSU has educated a whole host of influential people. For Halloween, you could dress as any one of the school’s iconic alumni. Put on a Lakers jersey and go as Magic Johnson or embrace the cult status of Sam Raimi.

Sparty

He’s the face of MSU: the icon we all know and love. He’d also make for a great Halloween costume. A green tennis skirt and matching tank top would work wonders! You could even wave the flag if you’re feeling particularly spirited. 

North Campus Squirrel

It might not be the cutest costume, but you’ll definitely get some laughs. Go as one of our favorite friends from North Campus and you’ll probably make everyone’s night.

Mel Tucker

Last, but certainly not least: the man, the myth, the legend. Emulating Spartan football coach Mel Tucker would be a great way to show MSU pride this weekend. All you need is some MSU merch and a headset. And as always… Tuck Comin’. 

Having our rivals game fall on Halloween weekend is particularly fortuitous. The energy on campus is going to be crazy, which is why you need a clever Halloween costume to match. Remember to have fun, be safe, and go green!

Kelsi is a third-year student with senior standing pursuing a B.A. in English with a Creative Writing concentration and minors in Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies at Michigan State University. She is passionate about writing, Gillian Flynn, A24 films, and intersectional feminism.