Go Get ‘Em, Tigers!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s a clear, sunny day and the warm spring breeze is blowing gently.  You’re decked out in dark blue and orange, walking into Comerica Park past the looming tiger statues.  The buzz of game day excitement is periodically interjected by the booming laughter and cheers of fans.  The smell of hotdogs and cinnamon roasted nuts wafts through the open stadium as you step into the bleachers and look down upon America’s favorite pass time: baseball.

For many, baseball is an essential part of summer, right along with sunburns, swimming pools, and the Fourth of July.  For Detroit Tigers fans, it means even more.  It’s the chance to represent their hometown.  It’s a time for fans to flaunt their Tigers’ gear and be proud to say they’re from the motor city.  It gives people a common thread, something to join forces over.  Every season, baseball unites Detroiters from April through October: from the pre-season scrimmages to the play-off nail biters.

This season, the team seems to be looking strong.  The guys are demonstrating strength early on, and they’re currently third in the American League Central standings behind Cleveland and the White Sox.   Their success doesn’t amount from nothing, however.  The Tigers have spent over $200 million during the off-season to come back as tough as we know them to be.

A lot of buzz is centered on new Tiger and three time All-Star Prince Fielder.  Fielder was signed to Detroit earlier this year for a $214 million, nine-year contract.  Known for his powerhouse hitting, Fielder is sure to make a big impact this season.

Due to Fielder joining the team, fan-favorite Miguel Cabrera will be moving from his usual spot at first base over to third.  This shouldn’t be a problem for Cabrera, who himself boasts tremendous stats early on in the season.

Justin Verlander returns to the pitcher’s mound again, hoping that this time the Tigers secure that World Series win.  Three other returning starters in the bullpen include Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, and trade-deadline acquisition Doug Fister.  As far as pitchers go, the Tigers are looking good.  The depth of the talent gives the outlook of a winning season.

The 2012 season is off to a great start for the Tigers, and the best is still yet to come.  While heavy hitters like Fielder and Cabrera are sure to impress, players Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta have been looking good this spring and are certain to be assets to this already tremendous team.

Although the World Series is a ways away, the Tigers are already being considered a strong contender.  Their combination of offensive and defensive players and strategies really make them one to watch as the season continues.

Want to get in on the action?  The Tigers have home games more than once a week from now through September.  Tickets range from $15 to $75 per seat, and arrangements can be made for large groups or suites.  Some late night games feature fireworks afterwards, and on other days Comerica Park is offering prizes to the first 10,000 fans.  Visit Detroit.tigers.mlb.com for more information on scheduling and ticket prices.

Baseball games are a great summer activity for many reasons.  They’re the perfect date for you and your guy, but they’re also fun for a group of friends.  Going to the ballpark lets you show your hometown pride under the afternoon sun or the shining lights at night.  And besides, you need someone to cheer for until football season starts again!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!