Getting in Shape Doesn’t have to Break your Bank!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

That “itsy bitsy bikini”- $40

Sun tan lotion- $10

Having a great spring break body-FREE

Spring break is fast approaching and the gyms have been swarming with people getting in last minute cardio before tying on those bikinis! While the gym is packed, most people don’t take advantage of the free workout opportunities on campus.

MSU offers a variety of workout classes from relaxing yoga to intense cardio kickboxing, all for free! Many students never take advantage of these classes that are guaranteed good workouts. What most people don’t know is that, most of these classes are led by trained, certified students! In an interview with Zumba instructor, Wesley, she shares about her passion for Zumba and getting active.

Like many people, Wesley was initially interested in Zumba when she saw an infomercial before college started but never wanted to pay the money for those DVD’s. Once she got to college, she took some of the free classes and fell in love with it. The cool thing about these free classes is that students can be the teachers! She was certified online and now leads one of the most intense, fun workout classes at MSU. Wesley said what she loves about this type of workout is that all fitness levels can get a great workout from this cardio. At the beginning of each class, she tells everyone ways to modify moves for a higher or lower impact as well as taking breaks whenever you need to. A big part of making this workout so beneficial is the energy in the room. Wesley loves teaching classes that come bouncing with energy and just want to dance and have fun! When asked if Zumba is a good choice for spring break fitness, Wesley said, “Yes! Zumba is a cardio/aerobic workout that tones EVERYWHERE. Not to mention, you can take some of the moves with you to dances or parties. ” It feels great leaving class feeling all the energy you have and how hard you just worked for an hour. Zumba workouts can burn anywhere from 800-1,000 calories in an hour and you barely realize you are working out! It’s important to find a good class with an instructor who’s style you like and you can have a blast.

Another class that is perfect for getting in shape quickly is the Total Body Workout offered on Wednesday nights in Holden. You have your own personal trainer rooting for you and pushing you to your limits. MSU student Renee shared her insights on this class and what makes it such a good form of cardio. Renee was sick of treadmills and elliptical so she decided to try this class one night and loved it. She likes that he plays upbeat music the whole time because it keeps her moving and pumped up. Much like Zumba, this class is for people of all activity levels in that each move can be modified and the instructor tells you ways to modify it before each move. One of the best motivators is to go to a class with a friend! When you have someone with you, it’s easier to keep pushing and make you try as hard as you can. This class works your entire body to slim and tone, perfect for trying to look as good as possible in little shorts and a tank top.

However, people have very demanding schedules and can’t always work around the times these classes are offered. That being said, there are still very easy ways to be a little healthier and more active.

1. Take the stairs! Even if you’re on the sixth floor of a building, avoid the elevator. To make it a little harder of a task, try skipping a step on every odd numbered floor. Stair climbing is a great form of cardio, even if it’s just a few flights a day.

2. Much like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, try walking to class instead of taking the bus. Every extra bit of physical exercise is beneficial! So bundle up, grab some headphones and power walk to your spring break body.

3. Online workouts are easy to access and most can be done in the small confinement of a dorm room or apartment. HasFit, which is much like Insanity, has structured programs and schedules for all fitness levels. Try doing the 30 Days to 6 Pack Abs to prepare for spring break. What makes these workouts so doable is that they only require about 20 minutes each day and it’s free! If there are more girls trying to get a beach body, try doing the workouts in the study room on your floor and invite others to join! 

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis