From Houston, Texas to East Lansing, Michigan 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

My name is Dominique Pouncy and I’m from Houston, Texas. 

Moving from Texas to Michigan has been a huge transition. This is my first time living outside of Texas, so this is all new to me. Every time I meet someone new in Michigan there are typically three questions I get every time they figure out where I’m from. One, What made you choose MSU? Two, How are you liking it here? Three, Are you ready for the winter?

To answer those questions: One, the animal science program. Two, I’m liking it a lot, it’s all new experiences. Three, by what everyone is telling me… not one bit.

Here are some things I’ve noticed that are different in East Lansing, MI compared to in Houston, TX.

1. Walking

One of the biggest changes I’ve made would be all the walking to get around campus and my legs can definitely attest to that. After two weeks of being here, I had shin splints in both of my legs even though I have been active my whole life. Back home the farthest we would have to walk was around the corner. The last time I walked this much was during my summer hiking trips. 

1. People

I really love most of the people here. I don’t know if it’s just because it’s been less than three months of school, but the people I’ve met through clubs, in class, and on the streets have all been cool people. Especially people in the clubs like the Michigan State lacrosse club team and of course HCMSU. 

1. How big the city is.

Another huge change is the size difference. Houston is one of the top four largest cities. There is always something to do and something different to eat. Coming here has been a shift. Especially because I don’t have a car on campus right now and East Lansing it only so big, there’s only a limited amount of places I can go. However, this is also my fault because I planned to explore the entire campus (since it is huge), but I haven’t got the chance. As of right now, I would say I’ve covered 60%. I do appreciate how big the school is student population wise though because there is always someone new to get to know. Almost every day or at each event I go to I have a great conversation and get someone’s Instagram. 

1. Weather

Lastly the weather, now this is only a slight change right now since we haven’t gotten to the colder months yet, but so far I love it. I don’t want to jinx it, but like I said right now I’m loving the weather. To me this is perfect. It hasn’t been too hot since the first three days of moving in. Whenever I left Houston to make the drive here it was in triple digit weather. Not fun at all. Since then, I haven’t sweated bullets outside other than working out. 

It has been pretty scary going to college already, but then being 1,269.3 miles away on top of that is very intimidating. I’m incredibly lucky I have such a great support system, or I know this would be near impossible. The best advice I give to any out of state students (I know it’s very basic and corny) is to get out of your comfort zone and make friends. When I first got here, I probably heard that 20 million times, but I didn’t realize how much it was true until just this past week. After joining just two clubs,  I’m in love with the people in them and cherish them for letting me in. 

Dominique pouncy is a freshman at Michigan state university originally from Houston Tx. She is currently studying animal science on the pre-vet track. Her plan is to graduate and go to veterinary school. Then become a wildlife veterinarian and travel around the world and maybe even write about it. In high school she earned her veterinary assistant certification. She earned this by working every morning at a veterinary clinic. She has been playing lacrosse since her sophomore year of high school and now is playing for the Michigan state club lacrosse team. Even though she is mainly focusing on lacrosse she loves to play all types of sports especially soccer. Dominique also loves to try all types of new things; it is her favorite activity. She is also very adventurous and love the outdoors. She loves to go backpacking, kayaking and camping. Currently she is also trying to learn ASL. In her free time, she loves to read all types of books, listening to music, and watching movies. She especially loves Taylor swift and Drake. She is the oldest to 1 younger brother. She also has 2 huskies at home named Luna and kylo. She is currently in the swift, PVMA, leader dog, zoology club.