This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I love fall so much. There are so many great things to do during the few months of autumn. Growing up, I would spend the weekends with my friends and/or family enjoying the traditions of fall. Here are some fall traditions you might like:

Apple Picking and Cider Mills

Harvest time! This time a year, the apples are ripe and ready to be harvested. Apple picking allows you a variety of choices between color and taste. When apple picking, you have endless rows of apple trees to choose from. The hardest part is finding the right type of apple for you. Likewise, cider mills are a big part of fall festivities. Apple cider can come in many different forms, including hot cider, cold cider, or a slushy. All versions are really good. You must get at least one jug of apple cider for the fall. 

Donuts and Hay Rides

Do you know what goes well with oreos? Milk. Do you know what goes well with apple cider? Donuts, specifically glazed donuts (honestly any donut). My favorite kind of donuts are the glazed donuts and blueberry glazed donuts. Many cider mills have a variety of donuts to go along with the apple cider. There are always fun activities for families to participate in. One of my favorite activities when I was younger were the hayrides. Even though I am too old for the hayrides, I still love watching my little niece and nephew enjoy them. Another thing you can do is feed the animals. Sometimes, the farm cider mills will have their animals out; there’s goats, pigs, chickens, etc. There are machines with seeds and food pellets you can get to feed the animals. 

Halloween Movies

Similar to Christmas and Easter and really every other holiday, there are movies made specifically for each holiday. Now, some people may not like spooky, scary movies. But for those who do love a good scare, you must watch “Halloween” by John Carpenter. If you want to watch a PG family friendly halloween movie, check out “The Addams Family” by Scott Rudin. Some of my favorite Halloween movies are (they are not listed in any specific order):

1. “Death Becomes Her” by Robert Zemeckis
  2. “Halloweentown” by Duwayne Dunham
  3. “Hocus Pocus” by Kenny Ortega
  4. “Goosebumps” by R.L. Stine
  5. “Hotel Transylvania” by Genndy Tartakovsky
  6. “Beetlejuice” by Tim Burton
  7. “It” by Andy Muchietti
  8. “Frankenweenie” by Tim Burton
  9. “The Shining” by Stanley Kubrick
  10. “Coraline” by Henry Selick

Sweater Weather

That’s right! I love sweater weather. Fall is that time of year where the wind is cold but the sun is warm, perfect for a sweater. Something I like about sweaters is that there are so many different kinds of sweaters with all sorts of different designs. Everyone likes a good sweater. It’s the best transition into winter attire. 

Pumpkin Patches

Have you ever carved a Jack ‘O Lantern? Every year, me, my family, and my friends would carve pumpkins. Carving a pumpkin is a fun halloween tradition one should experience. First we would go find a pumpkin at a pumpkin patch. Then we would lay out trash bags all over our dining table to protect our table. Afterwards, we would find the design we wanted to attempt to carve and we would carve away. My least favorite part is scooping out all the pumpkin junk and seeds. Eww! My favorite part is the aftermath. Seeing all of our pumpkins lit up, with our special designs from our front porch makes it so cool. 

Here are just a few of the many fall festivities you can do this fall. Enjoy your fall season and happy Halloween!

Sammie Howard is freshman at Michigan State University, majoring in Criminal justice. Her time with Her Campus consists of writing and helping with the design team. She loves shopping, hanging out with friends and family, and most importantly her dog. Ig and SC: @thenameissammie