This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Now that finals are over, we are all ready to relax before the start of the new semester. Here are five ways to make the most of your winter break:

Give back to the less fortunate

During a season where many of us are able to exchange and get gifts, there are those that are unable to. Therefore, during this break take out some time to go volunteer at a local food bank, soup kitchen, donate some clothes, or give back in any other way possible.

Spend time with family and friends

During the school year, it is hard to make time for those you love. Therefore, Christmas break is the perfect time to catch up with some friends and family to spread joy and happiness!

Pick up a new hobby

Life is unpredictable, and maybe during these three weeks, you will find a new hobby that you find enjoyable. This could be anything, whether it’s knitting near the fireplace, baking some delicacies in the kitchen (try Pillsbury snowman cookies!), or hand-making holiday cards.

Get out for a bit

This year, we have often found ourselves working on our laptops in the same place all day long. COVID-19 has made it hard for us to get out of the house, but there are still so many ways to do it safely. There are so many things to do in Michigan, whether it’s visiting Frankenmuth, going to the Wayne County Lightfest, or going to the Detroit Zoo for the Wild Lights! 

Spend time to focus on mental health

This semester has taken a toll on all of us, and there is no better way to re-energize than to focus on how you are feeling. There are many ways to do this, whether it’s going on a stroll, catching up on much-needed sleep, or journaling. Remember that it’s okay to take a break from working and make the most of it!

I hope that these tips will give you some ideas on how you can enjoy your winter break! Happy holidays!

Nikita is an undergraduate student studying Neuroscience through the Lyman Briggs College at Michigan State. Additionally, she is minoring in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. During her free time she loves to hangout with friends, go for a run, volunteer, and dance.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.