Five Simple Service Projects This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the holiday season approaches, you may find yourself with extra room in your heart to give, but not enough time or money on your hands. The following five service projects are enough to lift spirits during the holiday season without breaking the bank or taking too much time.

1. St. Jude Virtual Cards

Writing these cards is free and does not have a limit. It only takes a couple minutes to write an uplifting message to a child in the hospital.

Link: Send a free card and message to St. Jude patients – St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (stjude.org)

2. Shoveling A Neighbor’s Driveway

If you have the misfortune of living in the northern part of the country, you will most likely get a mountain of snow being home for the holidays. If you have elderly, new parents, or handicap neighbors this gesture would likely be appreciated (as long as you ask first)!

3. Blanket/Dog Toy Making

Making tie blankets (instructions are linked below) are an easy, fun way to contribute to the community. They can be donated to a homeless shelter, hospital NICU, etc. and the remnants of the fleece from the blanket can be made into dog toys. You can work with friends to make the time go by faster and find great deals on fleece!

Link for blankets: How to Make a Tie Blanket from Fleece – Cutesy Crafts

Link for dog toy ideas: 3 No-Sew Fleece Dog Toys You Can Easily Make at Home (leashandlearnnyc.com)

4. Treats for First Responders and Hospital Workers

First responders and hospital workers do not get a break on the holidays. Whether you pick a tray up half off from Kroger or make traditional holiday cookies, this gesture is usually accepted and appreciated by the stations or hospitals. Calling ahead to see if they would accept treats or seeing what their favorites are is a plus!

5. Offer Tutoring Services for Free

Finals are around the corner! If you excelled in a certain class and know people who are struggling, reach out or put out a post on social media and offer to provide help in areas they need it.

If you find yourself in the predicament of having a little bit of extra time on your hands during this busy time of year, consider filling in your free time with these projects! They may seem little, but they make a world of difference to someone else!

Kate is a writer for Her Campus at Michigan State University. She is a neuroscience major on the pre-med track. She enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering in her free time. You can usually find her at her favorite study spots on campus with a coffee in her hand.