Five First-Job Items Worth Investing In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Graduation is right around the corner, which means many of us are off to change the world at our first real job. No matter what industry you work in, these are five essential items that will make your daily life happier and easier.

1. A tailored black blazer

This piece of clothing is essential in a young professional’s wardrobe. Whether you opt for a classic design or a more modern cut, a black blazer pairs with nearly anything in your closet. It’s perfect for days when you don’t know what to wear or when you want to put in a little extra effort for a meeting or presentation.

2. A planner you’ll actually use

There’s no syllabus to reference in the workplace. You’ll need to write down the dates for meetings, events, and deadlines as they’re told to you. Stay organized by keeping all this information in one place, where it’s easy access. Knowing your schedule will eliminate surprises and help you schedule plans outside the office accordingly.

3. An audio book or podcast subscription

Whether you have a long commute or spend most of the day working silently at your desk, audiobooks or podcasts can fill the silence. More engaging than music, you will become more knowledgeable as you are entertained. As a bonus, your audio book or podcast can serve as water cooler conversation between you and your new coworkers.

4. A budgeting app

Your first job will pay more than a previous internship or part-time position. Keep track of your new income through your phone. Some banks offer their own apps, but others such as Mint and Expense Log can help you track your paychecks, schedule bills and list your discretionary spending.

5. A lunchbox

Many jobs involve sitting all day. We aren’t getting the exercise our body is used to from walking to class or moving around every few hours. Combining this with workplace cafeteria food often leads to first-job weight gain. Invest in a lunchbox and bring healthy foods to work each day. You’ll fuel your brain for quality work, save money and feel less sluggish throughout the day.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.