This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Some days you just want to curl up on the couch and watch something that doesn’t have to involve any brainpower. Something that makes you feel good inside and forget any problems that plague your life. I have compiled a list of my top five most rewatched comfort movies and I hope that you can find a new favorite!

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

This 1986 film directed by John Hughes follows its main character, Ferris, as he skips school and spends a day with his friends gallivanting around the city of Chicago. It is a comical movie filled with friends, adventures, and running from authority figures. Every teenager who has seen this movie has, at one point, wanted to be Ferris Bueller or one of his friends. This is a perfect 1 hour and 43 minute escape from the stress of everyday life.

Dirty Dancing (1987)

Directed by Emile Ardolino, Dirty Dancing tells the romantic, forbidden summer love story of Baby and Johnny during the summer of 1963. This film is full of great music and even greater dancing. I would be lying if I said I didn’t look up hotels that hosted ballroom dancing lessons after watching this movie for the first time, and I am sure I was not alone in that search. Like the character Jessica Day, from the tv show New Girl, I turn this movie on whenever I need a pick me up, and that can be quite often sometimes.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

This childhood staple, directed by Chris Columbus, is the perfect movie for the fall/winter time. I’m sure you already know what this movie is about, but there is something so magical and comforting about watching this film. There is nothing better than curling up with a cup of hot chocolate next to a roaring fire and sharing in the excitement as Harry, Ron, and Hermione experience Hogwarts for the first time.

Mamma Mia! (2008)

This jukebox musical directed by Phyllida Lloyd is like one huge party from start to finish. With Sophie’s (Amanda Seyfried) upcoming wedding, she decided to learn more about her absent father – only to find out it could be one of three men. She makes the decision to invite all three of them to her wedding on a small island in Greece, where she and her mother run a hotel, and break the news to them. This film is full of chaos and songs that make you want to jump up and sing at the top of your lungs. It is scientifically proven that you cannot be sad while watching this movie (although this scientific study only included myself). Along with the original film, I would also recommend Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) because you simply cannot have one without the other. 

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

I could not say enough amazing things about this 2005 film directed by Joe Wright. Based on the novel by Jane Austin, the movie follows Lizzie Bennet (Keira Knightly), her family, and Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen), the mysterious upper-class man with whom Lizzie has obvious chemistry with. It is a classic tale of will they won’t they, and it never fails to make my heart soar every time I watch. Out of every movie on this list, this would be my strongest recommendation. If you know me, you know that this movie is playing at least once a week at my house (I actually have it on right now). There is something so comforting to me about this 19th-century love story, and I don’t think anything could ever make me tire of it.

I hope that if I was not able to recommend a new movie for you to watch during your free time, that I was able to rekindle an old love for a previous favorite! Happy watching!!

Bella is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying journalism with a concentration in international reporting!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.