This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring semester is almost over which indicates summer is almost here, but it also means finals week is right around the corner. This time of the year can be the most stressful, so here are a few tips to help you get through it. 

Make a Study Schedule

Creating a study schedule can help reduce stress about figuring out which finals to study first and how long you have. I recommend taking a planner and writing down the days and times of all your finals. After, plan out your study schedule for yourself at your own pace. For example, set 30 minutes intervals with 10 minutes of break in between each study session. This will allow you to pace yourself and not cram everything at once. 

Get Rid of Distractions

After creating your study schedule and before you start studying, get rid of all your distractions. If needed, clear your desk of all other material or electronics. Turn your phone on silent or do not disturb to ensure you don’t get distracted by notifications. If you’re studying on your computer, resist browsing on the internet by downloading all of your resources ahead of time. You will get the most out of your study schedule if you remove all of your distractions.

Remember to Sleep

In the movies, you see college students staying up all night, drinking coffee during finals week. However, this can actually work against you. Getting a good night’s sleep is just as important because you need to stay well rested in order to have enough energy to continue studying the next day and before your exam. 

Create Your Own Quiz

While reviewing your notes and looking over study guides, creating your own quizzes will help you think about possible exam questions while ensuring you know the material. Quizlet is a great free resource that generates practice tests of the material you input. 

Get Help When Needed

While you’re studying, if you come across a topic that you’re confused on, don’t be afraid to ask your professors or TA’s. 

I hope these tips help you while studying for your finals and I wish you the best of luck on the rest of the year! 

Maia is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in Human Biology. She is passionate about health, fitness, and fashion. During her free time she loves cooking, shopping, and spending time with friends and family.
Kelsi is a third-year student with senior standing pursuing a B.A. in English with a Creative Writing concentration and minors in Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies at Michigan State University. She is passionate about writing, Gillian Flynn, A24 films, and intersectional feminism.