four Fable and Mane products on a wooden surface
Original photo by Risa Bhutani
Style > Beauty

Fable & Mane – A Haircare Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Fable & Mane is a South Asian-owned hair care brand founded by siblings Akash and Nikita Mehta in early 2020. Their products are sold both on their website and at Sephora. The idea behind their haircare line is rooted in ancient Ayurvedic ingredients and techniques. Hair oiling, which is an old Ayurvedic tradition that South Asian people have been doing for centuries, has recently become popular here in the United States. Their most popular product is the HoliRoots Prewash Hair Treatment Oil, which uses Ayurvedic ingredients like dashmool, ashwagandha, and castor oil to make hair oiling easier. They also have a shampoo and conditioner, hair mask, and other hair serums with Ayurvedic ingredients like amla. In addition to providing good quality Ayurvedic hair care products, Fable & Mane is also dedicated to protecting the habitats of tigers in India.

I’ve been wanting to try more South Asian beauty brands, so I did some research into Fable and Mane’s products. I bought their Good Karma Hair Set, which retails for $36 at Sephora and contains mini versions of the hair oil, shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. After trying all four products for about a month, here are my thoughts:

HoliRoots Prewash Hair Treatment Oil: This has made my hair very soft and shiny both after washing my hair and as a styling oil once it’s dried. My hair is very dry and putting a couple of drops in my ends every day has helped maintain shine and hydration since I only wash it once a week. The one downside is the same with most hair oils – if you leave it overnight, it will start to smell in the morning. I would recommend oiling your hair about 2 hours before showering and putting it in a loose braid or clip.

HoliRoots Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner: I really like the shampoo in this line because it lathers nicely and it does a really good job of cleansing my hair without stripping my roots of moisture. The conditioner is very thick and can be hard to get out of the bottle. It is very moisturizing and, depending on your hair type, you might not need to use the mask afterwards. The shampoo and the conditioner both have a pretty strong fragrance and smell like banana and coconut. While some might not mind the smell, it’s definitely not for those who are sensitive to fragrances.

HoliRoots Repairing Hair Mask: This mask shares the same banana and coconut scent as the shampoo and conditioner. It looks and smells amazing, almost like a custard. The product is very thick like the conditioner, and contains ingredients like coconut cream, banana, and mango butter, which are all essential for people with dry or dull hair. I really like this product, and I ended up using the entire miniature container in one wash because of how thick my hair is. While I didn’t get to see long-term benefits of the mask, the results from one use were amazing.

Fable & Mane is a good hair care brand to try if you’re interested in Ayurvedic beauty. Their products are on the pricier side – the shampoo and conditioner are $30 each and their hair mask is $34. But if you want to invest in some high quality hair care products, I would highly recommend these. I’m definitely going to be purchasing the full size versions in the future!

Risa Bhutani is a junior at Michigan State University studying accounting. She is also the events director for Her Campus at Michigan State and enjoys creating core memories for people in the chapter through events. She is a fan of reality TV, true crime, reading, and hiking in her spare time.