This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In a world saturated with mainstream pastimes, there exists a quieter, yet equally vibrant, subculture of niche hobbies. These specialized interests, often not very well known, offer a unique and enriching escape from the ordinary. In this article, we’re diving headfirst into the fascinating realm of these niche hobbies. We will explore pastimes that beckon enthusiasts with the promise of unexplored territories.

1. Kombucha Making

If you’re an avid kombucha consumer, making this drink on your own will save you a lot of money. There are hundreds of starter kits available on the market, each with their own unique flavors and types. This article teaches you how to make your own kombucha from scratch.

1. Astrophotography

Astrophotography is all the rage now. It gives you the opportunity to capture images of your favorite celestial object using your own equipment. It’s also great if you just want a chill evening out with your loved ones to sit and observe the night sky.

From personal experience, all you need is a good smartphone, a clear night sky, and a solid pair of binoculars.

1. Find a Grave

Though this is seemingly morbid at first, find a grave allows you to look up family genealogy and locate your ancestors. It’s an entire community of people that help connect unknown graves to families. They  routinely update a vast database of burial information of gravestones all over the US.

1. Garnishing

If you don’t enjoy cooking, but enjoy making food look pretty, this hobby is perfect for you. Amongst the vast subcultures that make up the culinary arts, garnishing is a popular one. People employ various types of tools and techniques to ensure that the food in front of them looks nothing short of a masterpiece. There are several resources available online if this appeals to you.

1. Book Binding

Don’t like the cover art of your favorite book? You can change that by rebinding the book with your favorite art and custom color scheme. Book binding allows you to change the feeling and experience of your book. Moreover, this allows you to fully utilize your creative prowess.

Part of why these hobbies are niche is that they require a lot of extra time, effort, and money. Having a more mainstream hobby like reading, or even taking walks, is great, as well. As long as your hobby creates a space for you to relax, unwind, and have some fun, you don’t need anything more to have a good time.

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.