Erika Campbell ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Erika Campbell, Founder of Common Sense Action’s MSU Chapter

Age: 18

Major: James Madison (Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy, Social Relations and Policy)

Hometown: Mount Pleasant, MI

Best Talent: Public speaking

Life’s passion: Politics, bipartisanship and feminism

Which celebrity or public figure would you trade places with? The celebritiy I’d trade places with would be Emma Watson because she’s awesome! As for a public figure, I’d trade places with Hillary Clinton.

Why is it important for millennials to get involved in politics? It’s important to make our voices known now. If we don’t make our voices heard, the government is just going to keep listening to the people who do make their voices heard. It’s better that we talk about political problems now. 

What is Common Sense Action? We emphasize responsible partisanship; That is, knowing your beliefs but being open to compromise. There isn’t one way that’s absolutely right.

Why not join a club? Why start one? I met University of Michigan’s Common Sense Action Founder and President, Liz English. She offered to help anyone who wanted to start one up! It’s a cool organization and it very much speaks to what I believe in. Millennials believe in compromise; I believe in compromise. Somebody’s got to do it, why can’t it be me?

What’s your biggest goal for Common Sense Action? To see it become an organization that’s well-known around campus and see it extend beyond me. When I graduate I can be 
firm in the fact that it’s gonna stick around. By the time I graduate, it will speak for itself; people will know about it and want to join.

Who should join Common Sense Action? Millennials who are interested in bipartisanship and believe there can be compromise in the issues that matter to millennials, which I hope is most people! 

So, how can we get involved? Meetings are every other week! There’s not a set date yet, so email commonsenseactionMSU@gmail.com to be added to the listserv!
Liz Davis

Northeastern

Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber