Her Campus MSU
Her Campus MSU
MSU
Style > Beauty

Easy Ways to Take #OneGreenStep with Garnier at MSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Presented by Garnier x Her Campus

Finding sustainable beauty is not always easy. Between plastic, single-use materials and artificial ingredients, it’s a struggle to be an eco-conscious consumer. And as someone who wears makeup practically every day, I don’t particularly want to spend my money on single-use products to get it off, nor do I want raccoon eyes. My solution has been to start buying better products.

Garnier is a brand that is dedicated to making beauty routines more eco-friendly with formulas made with 99% vegan ingredients* that are approved by Cruelty Free International and commit to a goal of 100% recycled plastic by 2025. Because this aligns with my values, I started using Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Original + Waterproof Makeup Remover, and it makes taking off my makeup – from heavy foundation to waterproof mascara – a breeze. Another eco-friendly product Garnier has are the Reusable Micellar Cleansing Eco Pads, which are machine washable and can be used over and over again, as opposed to single-use wipes.

Garnier also has an extensive line of green products, including the Sleek & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner. It controls frizz and makes hair visibly shinier, thanks to the argan oil and plant keratin plant-based amino acids in the products, similar to the ones naturally found in hair. 

In addition to the initiatives Garnier is taking (like moving to recycled plastic and being vegan and cruelty-free), creating a greener future also includes *our* individual actions. Garnier has launched the One Green Step movement to help people take small steps in their everyday lives to become environmentally friendly – like using sustainable and green beauty products. At Her Campus MSU, we’re always saying “Go Green!” – but now we’re giving it a new meaning. 

Our campus has everything – a gorgeous river, thousands of trees, and picturesque landscapes – and it’s the perfect spot to start an eco-friendly journey. So, take a walk to class along the Red Cedar, and not only take in the views, but save the carbon emissions that would come from driving to class. Or, recycle the numerous plastic bottles you get from your drinks at the dining hall instead of tossing them in the trash. And you can’t forget about the MSU’s squirrels (they are practically celebrities!) So, picking up litter you see could keep them safe, and help you on your eco-friendly journey. 

The benefits of being green on MSU’s campus are far too many to count. Taking One Green Step with Her Campus MSU and Garnier is an easy and fun way to start to protect our campus and our environment for ourselves and future Spartans. 

Our first Green Step starts right on campus. Her Campus at MSU wants to see you at our Bottle and Can Drive! Bring five recyclable bottles and/or cans and receive some free Garnier samples. It is happening on Wednesday, April 19 in the Wells Hall courtyard. 

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Madison Reinhold is Marketing Director, Events Assistant and Staff Writer for Her Campus at MSU. She leads the Design Team which produces content for social media as well as merch and recruitment, in addition to planning team events and contributing articles to Her Campus. Madison is a senior studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing, with minors in women's and gender studies and history. She also interns for MSU's Center for Gender in Global Context, creating social media content, contributing to their newsletter, and editing their department magazine. She previously interned for local non-profit The Women's Center of Greater Lansing. Additionally, she works for MSU's College of Social Science Office of Student Success, providing supplemental instruction to students. In her precious free time, Madison is attempting to write her first novel, playing fetch with her dog, Hazel, or finding a new niche history book to obsess over.