DIY Diaries: Glitter Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the winter months start fading away, we are finally presented with the opportunity to break out fun colored shoes and heels. One of the most popular styles is the glittery shoe. One of the issues with this style is the impossibility of finding a pair under five inches high. Instead of giving up hope or risking a broken ankle, skip the insanely high heels and simply make a pair of your own glittery heels.

What You’ll Need:

+Shoes

+Paint Brushes

+Tacky Glue

+3M General Purpose Adhesive

+Glitter

+Newspaper (or something to cover your surface)

Optional:

+Paint

+Clear Coat

+Disposable Cups

***Optional Step

If you chose to get paint and want to paint your shoe the color you are glittering it, now is the time to do that. I chose to keep my black and just put glitter over it, however, the tip of the shoe is covered in a leather material-I did paint over that.

After gathering your supplies, take the Tacky Glue and mix it with the glitter. I chose to do this in a separate cup so I didn’t waste all of the glue. I didn’t do specific measurements, I poured an amount of glue that looked liked it would cover the shoe and added enough glitter so that you “paint” the glitter/glue mixture onto the shoe.

After you have the glue and the glitters mixed together, take a paintbrush (I suggest one you don’t intend on using again) and paint the mixture onto the shoe. Use enough that it covers most of the shoe; you will not be able to cover everything. Cover the shoe as best as you can with the paste (I didn’t do the heel). It’ll look white and dull until glue dries.

After the shoe is nearly covered, it won’t be perfect yet, let it dry for about an hour. Be sure the glue is clear and dried before going on to the next step.

My shoes had a different material at the tip so I chose to paint this before glittering over it. Using a different paint brush, choose a color you like (I’m using the cheap paint in Antique Gold). Paint all over the tip, completely covering what you want, and allow it to dry for a few minutes.

When the paint is dry, repeat the previous steps. Go over the paint with the glitter paste and let that dry.

After the shoes have dried, get your general purpose adhesive. I cut open a paper bag to do this next step in because it is very messy. Take the adhesive and spray paint it over the shoes, doing about ¼ of the shoe at a time. Be careful! This adhesive is very strong, Once you spray the adhesive, sprinkle glitter over it immediately. After covering the whole shoe, let them sit overnight.

Once they’re dry, you’re done. I’d suggest wearing them outside to stomp off the excess glitter and prevent you from leaving a sparkly trail wherever you go.

****Optional Step

If you want to be extra safe, pick up some clear coat spray paint and cover the shoes with it. Be sure to allow an extra day or so to fully dry.

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis