Dear Big Brother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Brothers. They can definitely be a pain in the neck. Often enough, they drive us crazy with teasing, eating our food and taking forever in the bathroom when we need to get ready. Sometimes it feels like they’re only on Earth to annoy us.

However, in times of struggle, whether it’s an ex-boyfriend, moving schools or being picked on, brothers are always there for you. He won’t judge you when you’re down in the dumps — he’ll pick you up and carry you. Older brothers make the best sidekicks (or maybe we’re the sidekick…).

We watch them grow up and make mistakes. We learn from them, and we look up to them. Our brothers were our first friends. They helped us with chores and to-do lists, along with causing trouble for our parents. They taught us, or tried to teach us, how to play different sports. Sometimes, with a little coercing, they even helped us with our homework.

Our older brothers’ intentions are to help us through our journey of growing up. They want the best for us. They will defend us against anyone and will take the punches when we’re upset. We watch them in their battles and try to help, even though we don’t know any better than they do.

Brothers are there for you in the worst of times — family, academics, sports or personal life struggles. They attempt to understand our problems, even if they have no clue what’s going on. These hard times only bring you closer together. A bond with a brother is one that has been there since birth and will only get stronger with every passing year.

No matter the differences between us, we will always seem to click with our brothers. Different tastes in music and entertainment don’t separate us — it’s what brings us even closer together. Brothers understand us on a different level than our best friends, parents or partners. They’ve seen us through everything and love us all the same.

And as we grow older, the bond will only grow stronger. Our older brothers will continue to be our role models as we mature through college and our first real adult jobs. They’ll continue to make sacrifices for our well being. No matter how many unavoidable fights we’ll get into, we’ll always come back to each other. That’s what brothers and sisters are for.

Michigan State University Class of 2020 Psychology & Neuroscience Major on the Pre-Med Track Lover of coffee, dogs and croissants Michigan Native
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian