Cuffing Season, Can You Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For those of you who didn’t know, Cuffing Season is upon us. It’s the time during fall and winter months where people who would normally rather be single find themselves desiring to be “cuffed,” or tied down, by a serious relationship. Urban Dictionary says that cold weather and “prolonged indoor activity” causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.

Duration: Nov. 1-Feb. 15 (how coincidental, it ends the day after Valentine’s Day)

Excuse us? Why can’t Nov. 1-Feb. 15 be Eat-Too-Many-Mashed-Potatoes Season or Buying-These-Presents-For-Myself Season? If there’s one thing we’re sure of this cuffing season, it’s that we most likely won’t be participating (unless fate wants to surprise us all and throw the perfect significant other in our lives).

But, really. Besides all of our relatives asking about our non-existent significant others at holiday dinners, and the fact that we’re freezing cold and spending “prolonged indoor activity” with our space heaters in place of warm bae-cuddles, there are a few positive things that come out of not being cuffed this holiday season.

1. You can eat all of the holiday food you want!

Eat the pumpkin pie and eat ex-bae’s piece of pumpkin pie while you’re at it!

2. And you can keep the leftovers for yourself.

No more saving the extra cookies for your SO – or even Santa for that matter – the leftovers are all yours!

3. You will save money.

Actually, you don’t even need to save money. Spend the previously-wasted bae-gift money on something for yourself. #TreatYoSelf

4. And you will save the stress of finding the perfect gift.

The only perfect gift you’ll need to find is the one for yourself. And I’m sure you’ll find a much better gift than your SO had in mind anyway…

5. You won’t have to sacrifice time with family.

This year, mom won’t be sad because you’re spending Thanksgiving with your significant other’s family. And no more choosing where you’ll spend Christmas morning!  

5. And you get dodge those embarrassing questions.

“So, do you love him?” “Is she the one?” “When’s the wedding?”

6. You will meet lots of new people!

Those holiday parties are much more exciting when you can mingle with other singles. Maybe there will even be a mistletoe…

7. And there will be less drama.

The only drama you’ll be seeing is in the romantic comedies. And maybe fighting for that last piece of pie.

8. Lastly, you can really celebrate the New Year.

Happy (not-smooching-anyone) New Year! This year, you can watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks and scream “Happy New Year!” without being mid-smooch.

As we dive head-first into the holidays, don’t expect to find us cuffed. We’re as blessed and as happy as can be hogging the leftovers and buying our own Valentine’s Day candy. Cuffing Season, can you not?

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian