Creative and Safe Ways to Celebrate Halloween This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Halloween is a lively holiday usually associated with dressing up in costumes and going to parties or trick or treating. This year, Halloween may look a little different due to the pandemic – leaving us wondering what other ways we can celebrate Halloween this year while staying safe. Well, you don’t have to worry anymore because I have come up with a few fun ideas to help you have a fun and safe Halloween!

Bake some festive treats

Baking is a super fun and festive activity to do during any holiday. Instead of going out for Halloween this year, invite some friends and family over to have a baking party. Another idea is to have a baking competition and see who can make the spookiest Halloween treat. I recommend looking on Pinterest for some spooky baking ideas. Almost every bakery item can be turned into a Halloween themed dessert. If you don’t feel like baking from scratch, buy some premade Halloween cookies and decorate those!

Have a spooky movie night

If you want a more relaxing Halloween, then a movie night is the way to go. This is a simple idea that can be turned into lots of fun. Gather some blankets and pillows from around your house and make a comfy seating area for you and your guest. Also, don’t forget about the snacks. A movie night is the perfect activity to do after baking, so you can enjoy your delicious treats. Lastly, pick out which Halloween movies you want to watch and enjoy!

Have a Halloween themed game night

Grab your friends and family and host a Halloween themed game night. This is a creative way to celebrate spooky season this year. There are some Halloween themed games available to buy on Amazon like Halloween charades, booo-opoly, and many more. Another idea is a candy themed game like bean boozled. Bean boozled is a game with jelly beans, where you spin to see which one you eat (half are good flavors and half are gross flavors). You have to be brave to play – I have gotten some really gross flavors before like barf, stinky socks, and rotten egg.

Have a virtual Halloween party

This year has been full of virtual events, so by all means throw a virtual Halloween party. A virtual party allows everyones to see each other while having a night of fun without worrying about the safety of yourself and others. You can still show off your Halloween costumes by having a costume competition. You can also watch scary movies together, bake some spooky treats, or carve some pumpkins. The options are endless. 

Go to a cider mill/pumpkin patch

A cider mill/pumpkin patch is the perfect outside activity to spend Halloween this year. Grab your mask and invite some friends and family to meet you. There are many festive activities to do at pumpkin patch/cider mill like picking out some apples or a pumpkin, buying some yummy apple cider and donuts, or going through the corn maze. After, you can bake with the apples you picked or carve your pumpkins together.

I hope this article helped give you some ideas to celebrate Halloween this year. You can still be safe and have fun this spooky season. Hope you have a happy Halloween!

Maia is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in finance. She is passionate about fitness, health, fashion, and beauty. During her free time she loves shopping, cooking, and spending time with friends and family.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.