Girl holding Hallmark cards and smiling.
Original photo by Bella Bruyere

Creating A Kinder World: World Kindness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

This past year and a half has been especially difficult for many and it’s easy to get wrapped up in the negative aspects of life. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a day designated to the positives in life? That’s what November 13th is! November 13th isn’t just a normal day, it’s World Kindness Day! This international holiday was formed in 1998 as part of the World Kindness Movement. It’s a day meant to bring people together by promoting kindness throughout the world. 

Importance of Kindness

Being kind will make you and others feel good! Performing an act of kindness boosts serotonin and dopamine. These neurotransmitters help regulate mood and emotion so stimulating them makes you feel good. This boost makes kindness contagious to those involved and those who witness the act. With an improved mood, individuals are more likely to perform an act of kindness. For this reason, a simple act of kindness can go a long way and have a greater impact on others than you realize. 

Participating in World Kindness Day

Acts of kindness can be large or small; no matter the size every act has a positive impact. Here are some ways you could spread kindness:

• Compliment someone 
  • Reach out to someone you haven’t talked to in a while 
  • Pay for the person behind you 
  • Rake leaves from a neighbors yard
  • Give someone a hug 
  • Write a thank you note 
  • Make a donation
  • Make (or buy) a meal/dessert for someone special to you
  • Leave encouraging notes for others to find 
  • Give a generous tip 
  • Make care packages 
  • Invite someone new to do an activity with you 

Use World Kindness Day as a way to make the world a more positive place. Starting acts of kindness now and focusing on implementing them throughout your everyday life will make your life and others’ lives a little brighter. You never know how much a little kindness could positively impact someone! 

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.