Christmas Movies You Need to Watch Before December Is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With each passing day, we get closer and closer to the end of December, which means we get closer to Christmas. And although the countdown to the best day of the year is getting smaller, there is always enough time to watch the most iconic Christmas movies ever created. So, without further ado, here is a list of some of the best Christmas movies (at least in my opinion) that you need to watch right now. 

The Polar Express

This is my all-time favorite Christmas time movie to watch! The Polar Express is the perfect movie to watch when you feel yourself losing the Christmas spirit. The story follows a young boy who takes a train ride to the North Pole and embarks on a journey of self discovery to find the true meaning of Christmas. I just recently rewatched this movie and the soundtrack alone brought me to tears. There is something so nostalgic about this movie, even if you have never seen it before you will feel it the first time you watch this movie. The Polar Express brings you back to a simpler time which we can all appreciate during the holiday season.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas sounds like a Halloween movie, but we can also watch the film as a Christmas movie. The film follows Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king, who becomes sick of his same old routine. But then, he finds Christmas town and decides to kidnap Santa, although, a lot goes wrong. Tim Burton’s imagination makes this film a lot of fun and quite enjoyable to watch. Plus, the “This is Halloween” song is so catchy and will be stuck in your head after watching this.  

A Christmas Story

This is a Christmas movie classic that has to be watched by everyone at least once in their lifetime. So if you haven’t watched this film, go put it on right now! And if you have already seen this film, go watch it again because once is simply never enough. The film follows a young boy named Ralphie Parker in his attempts to convince everybody that a Red Ryder Range 200 shot BB gun is a perfect Christmas gift. The film description may seem a bit weird, but the movie is amazing and doesn’t disappoint.

A Charlie Brown Christmas

How could I make a Christmas movie list and not include A Charlie Brown Christmas? I just can’t! If you have never seen this movie before then you need to stop everything you’re doing and go watch it immediately. This timeless classic follows Charlie Brown as he feels depressed during the holiday season, to which Lucy suggests that he direct a Christmas play to help get him out of his sadness. The real star of the show though is the Christmas tree that Charlie Brown picks out, which is just iconic in my opinion. Overall, this movie is a cultural reset and everyone needs to watch it ASAP!

Mickey’s Christmas Carol

This Disney film puts a spin on the classic film, A Christmas Carol, by having all the characters be Mickey characters. Although the original is untouchably iconic, I also think this Mickey version is worth the watch as well. This story should be one that everybody knows about, but on the off chance someone does not, I will recap what this movie is about. This movie follows Scrooge McDuck, who is haunted by the ghost of Christmas past, present, and future one night after he loses the spirit of Christmas and becomes too greedy.

Krampus

Krampus is actually terrible and I’m including it on this list just to see if anyone else knows the terrible, terrible monstrosity that is Krampus. -100000/10. Do not watch. 

Hallmark

I think it’s safe to say that we all have had a Hallmark phase at one point. I mean how could we not, with all the movies that are made. Each is as terribly cheesy as the last, but there’s just something about Hallmark movies that are captivating. Although they all have the same plot in different fonts, each movie just draws you in and keeps you hooked until the end. Say what you want about Hallmark movies, but deep down we all know that they are our secret guilty pleasures.

Overall, there are so many movies that I could add to this list, but if I added them all, this article would be 12 pages long. As such, these are only a few of my favorite Christmas movies to watch in December. Even if you’ve already seen all of these, it’s always a good time for a rewatch! So, bundle up under your blankets because it’s time for a holiday movie night!

Just a girl who loves cute things :) Sophomore majoring in business :(