Celebrating Black Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, let’s raise a toast to all the black women in figures in history that often go unnoticed.

1. Maggie Lena Walker

Walker was the first African American woman to found and lead a bank. In 1903, Walker founded the St. Luke Penny Savings bank, and it was one of the first banks operated by African-Americans. Aside from serving as president at her bank, Maggie Walker also protested for the right to graduate in the same building as her white classmates as a teen.

2. Zora Neale Hurston

Hurston is said to be one of the most influential African American writers of the 20th century. Her writings focused on issues of race and culture but she quit writing in the 1940s and as a result, became forgotten.

3. Mae Jemison

Jemison was the first African American woman astronaut and an active advocate for girls’ education, and the first black woman to go to space. She joined NASA in 1987 until 1993 to pursue an academic career. She has also led 100 Year Starship, a research philanthropy that is dedicated to empowering people through technology.

4. Shirley Chisholm

Chisholm became the first black Congresswoman and in 1972, she became the first black contender for presidential office. While in Congress, Chisholm spoke out about women’s and civil rights.

5. Dr. Ruth J. Simmons

Simmons was the first black woman to hold a head position as president of an ivy league school. Simmons, the former president of Brown University and the first black president of Smith college, graduated from Dillard University before she earned a doctorate at Harvard University,

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.