Buying My First Car: The Perks and the Struggles

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I have always been an independent person and wanted to do everything myself. Because of this, I had one mission last summer: buy my own car. Two weeks before move-in day for my sophomore year of college, I bought a 2009 Toyota Camry LE. It wasn’t easy, and I spent most of my summer working 30+ hour weeks. She may not be the prettiest, nor the newest, but in the end, it was worth it and I would do it all over again. Here are some of the ways it has changed my way of life over the past seven months, both positively and negatively.

1. The Freedom

Being able to pick up and go to the places I wanted has been incredible. I don’t have to wait for buses, find a ride, or work on other people’s time. I can spend time with friends, go to different places off campus, and just work completely on my own schedule. Most people feel a sense of freedom when they leave their home to go to college, but I didn’t truly feel free until I got my car.

2. New Work Opportunities

Last year, I was confined to on-campus jobs, which were few and far between. They were also difficult to get hired for unless it was in a dining hall or something along those lines. I personally didn’t want to work in the dining hall, so I ended up in another job I didn’t care for and only stayed there for a semester. This year, both of my jobs are off campus and I have had a much better experience. If I didn’t have my car, I wouldn’t be able to work tutoring kids or have my internship.

3. Traveling for Breaks

One of my biggest struggles last year was getting home for breaks. There were some personal family issues that made the five-hour trip back and forth difficult. I hated not knowing how I was going home for the holidays. Now, I just pick up and go for each of them. There’s no question: If I need to go home, I will be there that day.

4. Music Therapy Sessions

This is arguably the best perk of having my own car. If I’m stressed and have some free time, I go driving down back roads with music blasting as loud as I can handle it. Sometimes screaming the lyrics to my favorite songs releases so much excess anxiety and stress, and I can do it whenever I feel that reality is a bit too much. 

5. Gas, Bills, and Even More Bills

There’s a lot of positives, but like all things in life, there will be cons. One of the biggest ones is that you don’t realize how expensive life is until you start paying recurring bills and other expenses. First, the price of gas hurts my wallet. To fill up my tank, it is almost $60 and I drive a sedan. Add on car insurance, windshield wipers, oil changes, and other random services and expenses, and I feel like my paycheck is gone sooner than it is deposited into my bank account.

6. Breakdowns and Repairs

This one might be everyone’s worst fear with owning a vehicle. In October 2023, my entire steering rack blew. The repairs were estimated to cost at least $1,500 on the low end. I had just paid tuition, and now THIS. I thankfully found a local mechanic who cut my costs. After this, it still took what was left of my savings and some charges on my credit card. This was probably the worst experience I have had since buying my car.

Overall, the positives have outweighed every struggle I have faced thus far as a first-time car owner. I love driving, and being able to do things on my time makes life 10 times easier. In addition, being able to go on off-campus adventures has given me some of the best memories. I wish I hadn’t waited as long to get my license, but it all worked out in the end. 

Mikia Lawrence is the current Vice President and Co- Campus Correspondent of MSU's Her Campus Chapter and is starting her first year of the position. She oversees chapter operation and assists with internal as well as external affairs such as meeting planning, brand partnerships, and recruiting. Lawrence is also a part of the design and editing teams to create graphics and edit content for her chapter. She is a junior journalism major at MSU with minors in broadcast journalism and leadership of organizations. She was an anchor and the producer for her high school's daily live announcements throughout her four years. In the 2024 spring semester she was an intern at HOMTV in Meridian Township. In her free time, she enjoys watching sports with friends, reading, writing, and playing dinosaurs with her little brother.