This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

My curiosity for Bumble planted itself as a seed in my head when my roommate mentioned to me that she had met her current boyfriend of 8 months through the app. Constantly attached at the hip, they are truly one of the most stable couples I’ve witnessed between two people in college. Their love is more companionate and unconditional than many who have been dating for years. When I asked for some details about how their whole Bumble experience went, my roommate said she originally met her boyfriend by responding to a prompt his profile had on it. The two then immediately hit it off, and quickly met up in person. After a few dates, my roommate and boyfriend decided they both wanted their relationship to be something long term. While I’ve only lived with them for two months, I have never once seen then fight or even bicker. They can read each other’s moods incredibly well, and I can easily see them eventually getting married.

With such strong evidence of Bumble’s success constantly around me, it was inevitable that I eventually downloaded the app. I immediately knew I would prefer it over Tinder—you get to see a lot more of someone’s personality on their profile, girls must reach out first to initiate a conversation, and you can note your habits and preferences right on your own profile. After spending way too long crafting the perfect profile, I was ready to go. Shortly into my swiping, I noticed my matches were much more frequent than before. While I don’t fit the typical Tinder “vibe,” the people I was encountering on Bumble seemed much more genuine and interested in more than hookups. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with wanting hookups, it’s just not my scene. It was surprising to me that people were reading past my pictures and letting my personality influence their decision.

After a few days, I began talking to a guy and quickly exchanged Snapchats. A couple days later, we had a date set to get food and watch movies. While I was initially very excited, unfortunately the good luck that had found my roommate must’ve escaped me. We got along pretty well over text, but there was not a lot of chemistry in person. Despite this, I realized that it took me 4 months to go on a Tinder date as opposed to 4 days for a Bumble date. Not only was I having a much higher “success rate,” but I wasn’t having to dump as much time into countless hours of swiping. 

Overall, I will definitely be keeping Bumble and using it weekly. Not only did I have a date very early on, but I also was able to learn a lot about myself in terms of what I like, dislike, and even prefer. In addition, Bumble fits perfectly with my busy schedule. No more hours of swiping through people looking for the exact same thing, and no more waiting months to find someone who actually wants to meet up for a date. Bumble is perfect for us busy bees that can’t invest the time that some people can into swiping for matches. It’s safe to say that my Tinder days are over, and I’m looking forward to making genuine connections with people.

Ashley is studying Genomics and Molecular Genetics alongside Nutritional Sciences with a focus in Biomedical and Molecular Nutrition. She is a member of Lyman Briggs and works with their Chemistry department as a Learning Assistant. When she's not studying, Ashley loves playing Minecraft, practicing trumpet, and looking at memes.