This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With the leaves changing colors and the weather getting colder, fall is officially here. Nothing says fall like grabbing a fuzzy blanket, a hot cup of coffee, and cozying up to read a good book. With all the titles to choose from, it can be overwhelming when trying to make a decision. With that said, here are some reads that won’t disappoint! 

1. Verity, by Colleen Hoover

This thriller novel with a dash of romance is a great way to take your mind away from a cold and rainy day. Verity follows Lowen, a writer who’s just trying to make ends meet. Just when Lowen’s life reaches rock bottom, Jeremy Crawford, bestselling author Verity Crawford’s husband, gives Lowen the opportunity to finish the remaining books in his injured wife’s series. Except things take a twisted turn once Lowen starts working in the Crawford’s house. This book will leave you completely shocked!

2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, by Michelle Hodkin

This series follows Mara, a girl who wakes up in a hospital with no memory of how she ended up there. She thinks there’s some unknown answers about how the accident left her unharmed, yet all of her friends were killed. Mara doesn’t think that life can get any stranger. By the end of this paranormal romance, you’ll be thoroughly spooked. This book is a great way to get in the Halloween spirit.

3. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

Set during Nazi Germany in 1939, death is busy. Liesel’s life is changed when she finds the Gravedigger’s Handbook, the first book she ever stole. She begins to love books, and soon she starts stealing them from the mayor’s wife’s library. During these dangerous times, when her foster family is hiding a Jew in their basement, Liesel’s world is all over the place. This novel will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, but it’s worth every tear.

4. I’ll Give You the Sun, by Jandy Nelson

In the beginning, Jude and her twin brother Noah, are always together. Noah is quieter, while Jude is more of a daredevil. Years later, they hardly speak to each other, something has changed them both deeply. When Jude meets a mysterious boy, everything starts to change. This contemporary novel will make you feel everything and question a lot.

5. The Female of the Species, by Mindy McGinnis

Alex’s older sister was murdered a few years ago. As Alex’s senior year approaches, she realizes she has a much darker personality than she originally thought. From the very beginning, this book will have you hooked!

These reads are perfect for fall and won’t let you down!

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.