Life > Academics

Biden Student Loan Debt Relief Remains Uncertain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

A few weeks ago, I received an email from Miguel Cardona, the United States Secretary of Education, updating students that applied for the Student Loan Debt Relief Plan. In the email, Cardona stated that lawsuits are preventing the U.S. Department of Education from implementing the program and that they are holding my application. The lawsuits have blocked their ability to discharge the debt students hold and the Department of Justice has appealed on the students’ behalf. Cardona ended the email by reassuring that relief will prevail as the Biden-Harris Administration is committed to helping borrowers recover from the pandemic.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit sided with republican-led states just days after Texas federal court judge Mark Pittman proclaimed Biden’s plan unlawful, limiting the U.S. Education Department from discharging more debt. Individual cases and conservative group rulings against the plan have been dismissed. The Texas ruling and State’s lawsuit remains the biggest threat against the plan, as they have placed a temporary pause on it. The 8th Circuit court stated that attempting to relieve $400 billion in debt would threaten the economy. Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and South Carolina have sued the administration over the plan and have claimed the president has overstepped his role and should not be taking money from states that profit off of student loans. 

The Department of Justice has requested that the Supreme Court lift the lower court’s restraint against the plan, suggesting if the court does not it could provide borrowers with the relief necessary. The nation’s highest court has responded to the rulings declaring it will not allow the relief to move forward for now, but will hear oral arguments in February. 

As a student who relies on loans, this debt relief program was the aid my family needed and is of the same importance, if not more, for others. This debt relief program was in Biden’s promise as president and is necessary for students after the hinderance the pandemic placed on education. Students deserve to be recognized and receive relief among the already thousands they pay to get an education. The cost of education has increased tremendously over the years, placing hardships on families across the U.S. 

To the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit and Pittman: How dare you place the economy over a student’s needs. I would expect more from you all, as you were students once and had to undergo the financial costs. Add a pandemic on top of it and see what changes. Education has changed, and you don’t know the financial effect it has on thousands if not millions of people. Don’t think of yourselves and the very few your economic efforts will benefit. Think of the students that are shaping the future and deserve a chance. Taking away from a plan that is giving back is what should be considered unlawful. 

Sources:

“Biden-Harris Administration Continues Fight for Student Debt Relief for Millions of Borrowers, Extends Student Loan Repayment Pause.” Biden-Harris Administration Continues Fight for Student Debt Relief for Millions of Borrowers, Extends Student Loan Repayment Pause | U.S. Department of Education, 22 Nov. 2022, https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/biden-harris-administration-continues-fight-student-debt-relief-millions-borrowers-extends-student-loan-repayment-pause.

Douglas-Gabriel, Danielle. “Appeals Court Grants Injunction against Biden’s Student Loan Forgiveness.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 14 Nov. 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/11/14/appeals-halts-student-loan-forgiveness/.Sheffey, Ayelet. “The Supreme Court Will Hear Biden’s Student-Loan Forgiveness Case in February. Here’s What That Means for Millions of Borrowers Waiting for Relief.” Business Insider, Business Insider, https://www.businessinsider.com/how-will-supreme-court-rule-on-student-loan-debt-forgiveness-2022-12.

Sabrina Seldon is the Editor-in-chief of Her Campus at MSU. She edits articles, approves pitches and oversees the editing team. Seldon is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Broadcast, Public Relations and Graphic Design. On top of her involvement with Her Campus, she is the Art Director of VIM Magazine at MSU. Seldon was Editor-in-chief of her high school's award-winning yearbook and has articles published through the Spartan Newsroom. Seldon enjoys listening to music, traveling and designing graphics in her free time.