Life > Experiences

Becoming an MSU Tour Guide Was the Best Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In a class I was supposed to be paying attention to, I was job searching for the summer months I’d be staying in East Lansing. Fast food, retail, and everything in between was laid out before me. Yet, the one thing that caught my attention was the Live On advertisement for their tour guide program. 

The job boasted many opportunities to grow as a person, student, and possibly in my future career paths. And, as a journalism student who already loves talking, I figured it was a very nice fit. Plus, I’d be spending a lot of time outside in the summer instead of cooped up in some harsh fluorescent lighting of a store or company. 

So I applied. I figured it wouldn’t turn into anything special and that I’d likely be doing grocery delivery for the four months off from school. It was a random Wednesday towards the end of the semester, and I was half listening to my professor, still actively applying for jobs. There wasn’t much promise of even getting an interview. 

But then I got an interview. 

It seemed like my random push to get a job had actually yielded something. 

I scheduled a date, got my interview clothes ready, and made my way up to a part of the MSU Union I’d never been to before. Ready with answers I’d run through my head a million times, I was uncharacteristically calm and prepared for whatever might come my way. 

Personally, it was the best interview I’ve ever done. I felt like I did everything so well and answered confidently. I really felt like I’d enjoy the job, and actually really hoped I’d get it by the end of the meeting. The people who interviewed me were kind and responsive, and it was unlike anything I’ve ever been through. 

They said they’d get in contact with me in the next few days. 

But by the time I had walked home, I had already gotten a job offer.

I started training for the summer, learning facts about Michigan State University (MSU) that I didn’t know before and making connections with coworkers. It was something I really enjoyed, and I was getting paid for it.

I remember looking forward to going to training. It wasn’t very far from my apartment, and I was thriving. I’d never felt this way about a job before; I’ve never really had high energy and excitement to go to work. 

The people training alongside me were funny and personable. It was strange being introduced to a group that was just like me in so many ways. I knew we’d all succeed in the job, and I was pumped to spend my whole summer with them.

Training went by before I knew it, and I passed my mock tour with flying colors.

And then I did my first few tours. I loved everything about it. I loved the guests, the other guides, the walking, the talking. I put on my uniform after my first day and got super excited to clock in for the shift. 

My first ever guests even left me wonderful reviews about how I gave the tour. 

I remember the smell of constant sunscreen and the clanking of my pink water bottle I toted around. I remember waking up, having my morning coffee, and actually loving that I’d spend my day giving tours. No matter how tired I’d be after the last shift or how sweaty and gross I’d feel, this was the first job I genuinely loved.

I lived alone over the summer in an apartment meant for four people. All I had at home was my cat and an echo. So being a guide also fueled my social stimulation. And it wasn’t like it was a taxing job, because sure, I sweat and walked a lot, but I got to have most of my summer outside, traversing my beautiful campus, meeting new people, and getting paid while I was at it. I wouldn’t have done my summer any differently. I wouldn’t have chosen any other job. 

There’s this satisfaction that comes with being the person that might have been someone’s deciding factor. I think very deeply and always see things emotionally, so I end my tours with advice and nostalgia. 

I’ve given almost 50 tours, which is crazy. I can’t believe I’ve stuck it out in this job after applying on a whim, and I can’t believe how much fun I’m still having. I was even in a promotional video to tell students to apply to be a guide. 

The most unexpected thing to come out of it was my friends. I connected with every single person on the summer guide roster, even my supervisors. They’re all great people, and after getting socials and chatting, we started to hang out outside of giving tours. 

We’ve done karaoke, we’ve gone out for dinner, we’ve just hung out and chatted. My friends from work even came out for my birthday party, and I went to theirs. It’s been only four months, and I consider them very close to me. Every job does have its ups and downs, but they make it all worth it in the end. 

Tours are just 90 minutes out of my day, and it’s 90 minutes telling people why I love going to school here and why I love being a Spartan. It’s well worth my time.

Brandy Muz is an aspiring writer hailing from Saginaw, Michigan. She enjoys going to the gym, having fun with friends, and making people laugh. With her strength in stories, she hopes to spread joy by way of words.