This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Beauty is found in many things.  

Obviously, nature. I find beauty in snow as it desperately clings to tree branches. I find beauty in water as it splashes softly onto a sandy beach. I find beauty in the pure fact that this huge, vast universe contains thousands of beauties, none of which are the same.

There is beauty in people. The way their lips curl when they physically can’t hold back a smile. Their eyes, the way they can shine brighter than the sum of all the cities’ lights.

There is beauty in memories. There is beauty in songs. There is beauty in art. Photography. Writing. Dance. The broad concept of being able to trap beauty in one small container (of whichever tangible form it takes).

There is beauty in books – hundreds of pages with thousands of words dancing on the page.

I find beauty in freedom. I find beauty in expressing your opinion, an opinion that you’re entitled to.

I find beauty in effort, when you try your absolute hardest. Failures, too, are so beautiful. Failure brings lessons, and lessons bring growth. Growth is beautiful.

There is beauty in emotion. Happiness, as you find yourself in a moment that you pray to be stuck in forever. Sadness, as you know that only after the storm comes the rainbow. There’s beauty in loneliness, time spent with yourself. No matter how long it takes you to learn that being alone can be a great thing; independence is beautiful.

More importantly, I find beauty in love. Love in all forms. Love does not know gender, nationality or race. Beauty does not know gender, nationality or race.

The list goes on and on.

But, one of the most beautiful things in your life is you.

Thus, the question I pose is this: With this much beauty in the world, why is so much weight placed on imperfections?

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian