This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

World Autism Awareness Day falls on April 2 and is recognized internationally. In fact, the entire month of April is known as Autism Awareness Month in many parts of the United States. This time of the year, especially, should acknowledge and inform about a global crisis. In order to uphold this mission, presented below are some facts about the Autism Spectrum Disorder.

What is the Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Autism is a developmental disorder characterized by difficulty with social interactions, communication skills, repetitive behaviors and speech. Autism affects each individual that has it differently and to varying degrees.

How Prevalent is Autism?

According to the Centers for Disease Control, it was found in 2018 that Autism affects about 1 in 59 children in the United States. This shows a 15% spike from the most recent report two years ago, as well as the highest amount since the Autism Spectrum Disorder has begun being tracked. Of these children, males are 4 times more likely to be affected than females; the actual rate of those affected by Autism is 1 in 38 males compared to 1 in 152 females. This ratio has remained consistent with past reports.

Autism Is Not a Single Condition

As stated previously, Autism affects everyone differently. It actually refers to a broad spectrum of conditions that cause repetitive behavior and make it difficult to communicate and socialize, not just a lone condition. It can be thought of as an umbrella for a collection of behavioral complications.

Is There a Cure?

Unfortunately, there is no cure or medicinal treatment available for Autism. There are, however, medications that may be used to help with some symptoms that accompany Autism such as depression, seizures, insomnia, and epilepsy. It is recommended to look for autistic symptoms in a child early on because the earlier it is recognized, the earlier interventions can be started, and the more effective those interventions can be.

Those with Autism deserve inclusion, acceptance, and support among everyone year round. It is very important to educate yourself and those around you about the Autism Spectrum Disorder and to raise the awareness about it in hopes of accepting and embracing each other’s differences.

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.