American Horror Story: Season 6, Episode 1 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Disclaimer: AHS spoilers to follow. Read ahead at your own risk – you’ve been warned!

Get ready to crap your pants, America! American Horror Story, Season 6, aired last Wednesday at the deadly hour of 10 p.m. I snuggled up with a bowl of popcorn and my inhaler because who knew what kind of crazy, creepy, crawling things I would endure through the television set. Each season increases its intensity, and I expected this season to be no different.

Instead, what was introduced in the first episode left me – and tons of others in the “AHS Cult” – hella confused. The first thing we noticed was that there was no terrifying trailer introducing the beginning of the show. We missed out on all of the creeping creatures lurking in the dark shadows. Kind of disappointing, considering the trailers are always scarier than the actual show.

AHS director, Ryan Murphy, was really not into giving away any spoilers when it came to this season. We were teased worse than a kid with braces on the playground, prior to the season opener. Over 60 different trailers were created, and I binged watched them all, looking for every little, significant clue, hoping that I could find some emerging theme.

Another peculiar aspect of the season opener is its structure. The episode is set up like a reenactment, where a husband and wife are both telling the story of their experiences in a new home in the middle of nowhere.

From the title of this episode, all we know is that something has to do with the mysterious disappearance of the Roanoke colony in the 1500’s. Check out more about the Roanoke colony, in this article by the Rolling Stone.

We are left with a major cliffhanger after the hour-long episode. Who is trying to scare the Millers from their home – a cult, those southern country boys, or maybe something not even human at all?

The small-scale feeling of the first episode brings us back to the days where we ventured through the Murder House and into Briarcliff Manor Asylum.

Nothing about this season is for certain. While “My Roanoke Nightmare” is where our story is starting, we have no idea where we will end up – perhaps making this season the scariest of them all.

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian