Amazing Feminist Books You Should Read During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Every March, Women’s History Month takes place where we celebrate, raise voices, and reflect on women in history and their accomplishments. During this month, I, personally, love to work on my understanding of the world and the feminism that I need to incorporate into my daily life. I decided that I would share some of the amazing books that I’ve read that talk about something relating to or about feminism and intersectionality.

A Vindication of the Rights of Women~ Mary Wollstonecraft (1792)

The full title being A Vindication of the Rights of Women: with Strictures of Political and Moral Subjects is one of the earliest feminist philosophy works. Wollstonecraft responds to those that believed women shouldn’t receive education. She argues that they should be able to match their position in society because they are essential in their rearing of children and “companionship” to their husbands. Also, she argues that women are humans (as they are) and  they deserve fundamental rights and are not ornaments or property for others  to toss around. This was written as a response to a report to the French National Assembly that stated women should only receive a domestic education. She intended to write a second volume but died before completing it.

The Second Sex~ Simone de Beauvoir (1949)

This book is by a French existentialist and philosopher who discusses the treatment of women throughout history, keep in mind this was published in 1949. She researched and wrote The Second Sex in about fourteen months (1946-1949) before publishing the work in two volumes titled, in order, Facts and Myths and Lived Experience. This book is often regarded as a major feminst philosophy book and helped to start “second-wave feminism”.

This Bridge Called My Back~ (edited by) Cherríe Moraga and Gloria E. Anzaldúa (1981)

This anthology focuses on the experiences of women of color and intersectionality (see the next item for a book to understand this very important term!). It challenges white feminists who claim “sisterhood” and lays to foundation for “third-wave feminism”. It’s  “one of the most cited books in feminist theorizing”.

On Intersectionality~ Kimberlé Crenshaw (2014)

This is THE feminist book. Crenshaw is the person that coined the term “intersectionality” which became a political framework and movement. She develops the concept of intersectionality and gives a basic understanding that is a fantastic introduction to all things feminism and intersectionality. If you haven’t yet read this or any of her work, you definitely need to! This is the best introduction to feminism as intersectionality is the basis of good, complete feminism. 

The Vagina Monologues~ Eve Ensler (1996)

This one is a play that talks about consent and rape, body image, genital mutilation, vaginas, menstruation, sex word, and more. It’s probably not my favorite thing I’ve ever read, but I definitely think the messages are important!

Asking For It~ Louise O-Neill (2015)

So, this book made me cry, like a lot. It follows eighteen year old Emma in the beginning of summer in an Irish town where a huge party is happening. The morning after, however, her parents find Emma on the doorstep of their home, she is unconscious, a wreck, bleeding, and disoriented. She cannot remember anything that had happened. Now, no one is responding to her texts, everyone is turning away and whispering about her, and horrific photos of her have been posted under a fake account titled “Easy Emma”. An investigation has begun, and everyone chooses “sides” as the world begins to talk about her story. This is a powerful story about assault and shame and rape culture. 

Sister Outsider~ Audre Lorde (1984)

This collection is written entirely by Audre Lorde focusing on her identities as a Black woman, lesbian, poet, activist, cancer survivor, mother, and feminist that is considered groundbreaking workd in feminist theory. These fifteen essays explore the complexities of intersectionality with use of her own experiences. Some of the topics of oppression include sexism, heterosexism, racism, homophobia, classism, and ageism with many of the topics including love, self-love, war, imperialism, police brutality, coalition building, violence against women, Black feminism, and movements toward equality. These topics are all within the deeply-rooted white, racist, patriarchal system in America but hold a message of hope.

The Awakening~ Kate Chopin (1899)

Kate Chopin writes about a woman named Edna who is struggling with her views and beliefs on women- and motherhood. It is also considered one of the early landmark works of feminism. Honestly, you don’t want to go into this one with much more than that!

The Yellow Wallpaper~ Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1892)

Charlotte Perkins Gilman writes this short story from a first person lens of journal entries from a woman whose husband rented an old mansion for the summer. Ignoring the other rooms, they move into the nursery upstairs. As a form of “treatment”, the husband forbids her from doing anything to recover from a “temporary nervous depression – a slight hysterical tendency”. This story illustrates the attitudes towards both mental and physical health of women specifically in the 19th century. 

Hood Feminism~ Mikki Kendall (2020)

Mikki Kendall writes about intersectionality and feminism. Consisting of 18 essays, she argues how mainstream feminism excludes so many issues and people. As I often say, everything is a feminist issue and for everyone. This book explores that.

You’re the Only One I’ve Told: The Stories Behind Abortion~ Dr. Meera Shah (2020)

As an abortion provider, Dr. Meera Shah has seen and heard it all. For years, when asked what she did for a living she would say a doctor and offer no further explanation. Now, Dr. Meera Shah has begun to be direct stating that she provides abortions. Once she started doing that, she was confided in at a variety of spaces about their own abortion stories with the statement “You’re the only one I’ve told”. Thus, this book was born. This book is a collection of these stories to humanize abortion and combat the many myths around it. The stories vary widely in ages, races, socioeconomic statuses, genders, etc. 

How to Be Antiracist~ Ibram X. Kendi (2019)

This nonfiction book was my favorite (and only) my sister’s first introduction into feminist lit, so it definitely holds an extra special space in my heart and bookshelves. The book talks about racism and how we as individuals can be anti-racist (and what that is) as well as the systemic changes that need to be put in place. 

The Bell Jar~ Sylvia Plath (1963)

The Bell Jar is Plath’s only novel that is semi-autobiographical (names and places are changed). It describes the main character’s (and Plath’s own) drop into mental illness. Plath died by suicide about a month after the novel was first published. Please be aware of the content warnings before reading this!

The Bluest Eye~ Toni Morrison (1970)

As Morrison’s first novel, The Bluest Eye takes place in 1941 Ohio from a young girl’s point of view who is the daughter of the main character’s foster parents. The main character’s name is Pecola who a Black girl that grew up being called “ugly” because of her dark skin. She desires blue eyes because she associates them with being white. If that didn’t convince you to read this yet, this book has had numerous banning attempts from schools and libraries because of the topics of racism, incest, and molestation of a child. Again, please be aware of the content warnings before reading this!

Men Explain Things to Me~ Rebecca Solnit (2014)

This collection contains nine (originally seven) feminist essays. Each “chapter” is a different essay from various years. The main essay launches the term “mansplaining” although Solnit did not use the word originally and rejects it currently. The essay contains Men Explain Things to Me (2008); The Longest War (2013); Worlds Collide in a Luxury Suite: Some Thoughts on the IMF, Global Injustice, and a Stranger on a Train (2011); In Praise of the Threat: What Marriage Equality Really Means (2013); Grandmother Spider (2014); Woof’s Darkness: Embracing the Inexplicable (2009); Cassandra Among the Creeps (2014) (added to new editions); #YesAllWomen: Feminists Rewrite the Story (2014) (added to new editions); and Pandora’s Box and the Volunteer Police Force (2014). 

Colonize This!~ (edited by) Daisy Hernandex and Bushra Rehman (2002)

So, this is actually a “”textbook”” for one of my classes this semester. BUT, before you run away, this does not read like a textbook at all. It’s basically a collection of stories about feminism. Definitely give it a shot!

Anything Emily Dickinson (b. 1830 – d. 1886)

MY GIRL! I love Emily Dickinson so, so much. She was definitely and completely in love with Austin’s, her brother, wife Susan. That’s all you need to know. THE queer icon of the 19th century, Dickinson (also) wrote exceptional poetry (which is actually why she’s well-known).

I Am Malala~ Malala Yousafzai (2013)

Malala’s autobiography talks about her experiences fighting for equal education in Pakistan where she was shot in the head by the Taliban in response to her efforts for girls to go to school. Obviously, since this is an autobiography, she survived. She’s the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize (in 2014), and she currently studies at Oxford!

Bad Feminist~ Roxanne Gay (2014)

This essay speaks on loving things in the world that go against feminist ideology. Roxanne Gay states in an interview, “In each of these essays, I’m very much trying to show how feminism influences my life for better or worse. It just shows what it’s like to move through the world as a woman. It’s not even about feminism per se, it’s about humanity and empathy.”

Feminism is for Everybody~ bell hooks (2000)

bell hooks writes this short book that explores what feminism is and what it’s promises of elmination are for including sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression. It encourages readers to understand that feminism is really for everyone because of how it touches all people. 

Fat Is A Feminist Issue~ Susie Orbach (1978)

Although written over forty years ago, Fat Is A Feminist Issue writes about our lives experience of how occupied we are with food and avoiding getting “fat”. It further proves that being “fat” is not actually about food but about so much more.

The Future is Feminist~ (edited by) Jessica Valenti (2019)

This anthology features what it means to be a feminist from the past to now with a variety of feminist issues, which, surprise, is everything. This book spotlights poets, essayists, activists, professors, and more. 

Killing the Black Body~ Dorothy E. Roberts (1997)

Killing the Black Body is a great place to start learning about Reproductive Justice. It talks about the extremely racist ideas of “welfare queens”, “crack babies”, and the exploitation of Black women and their bodies in America. Beginning with the age of slavery in the 1800s to present day, this book really dives deep into repro rights. 

Eloquent Rage~ Brittney Cooper (2018)

Based on her grandmother’s eloquent rage that was revealed in a life-changing conversation, Cooper writes why Black women have every right to be mad despite the idea that a Black woman’s anger is described as ugly and threatening. It describes the need for rage because it keeps everyone honest and accountable.

Unpregnant~ Jenni Hendriks and Ted Caplan (2019)

This novel is so, so good! I read this on the trip to my partner from my grandparents house (about 5 hours). I laughed literally out loud. It’s amazing, a little absurd, and scary to think of this as a reality. This follows a teenager that has to travel almost a thousand miles to obtain basic healthcare – an abortion for her unplanned pregnancy with her psycho ex-boyfriend. It also became a movie in 2020 featuring Haley Lu Richardson and Barbie Ferreira. 

Other Words for Home~ Jasmine Warga (2019)

This book is excellent! I remember reading this via audiobook last summer while doing some chores, but it got to the point where the prose was so beautiful that I just sat down and stared as I finished the last little bit. This story follows a young middle schooler after becoming a refugee from Syria to the United States and all that comes with it. Also, it’s written in verse which makes it a much faster read!

Overall, this is barely (like not even close) to a full or complete list of books on feminism or women, but it’s a great place to start! Here’s one and two more lists of books (some of which I included) that you can also reference if you so choose. Remember that March is not the only month to be educating yourself and focusing on your intersectional feminism; you should be doing so every month!

Kattiah Richardson (she/they) is currently a student at Michigan State University double majoring in both English and Women's and Gender Studies with a double minor in Jewish Studies and in LGBTQ+ and Sexuality Studies with the hopes of becoming a professor. They are a part of many student organizations on campus: Planned Parenthood Generation Action (President), We are Queens (Vice President), Spartans for Israel (Liberal Outreach Chair), and, of course, Her Campus MSU (Staff Writer and Editor)! Kattiah is also a Campus Trendsetter through Her Campus and a Resident Assistant at their campus. Aside from university-related activities, they love learning more about their faith in Judaism, activism, reading, writing, dancing, babysitting, spending time with family, and (badly) singing!