Amanda Chodnicki: Reporter for HOMTV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Amanda Chodnicki

Year: Junior

Major: Journalism/Political Science

Hometown: Shelby Township, Mich.

Reporter for HOMTV and host for HOMTV’s “Beyond the Badge” and “Innerview”

What is HOMTV/Beyond the Badge?

HOMTV is the Meridian Township Government Television station located in Okemos, Mich. The station broadcasts coverage of the township meetings, along with community news. “Beyond the Badge” and “Innerview” are both shows on HOMTV. “Beyond the Badge” explores the efforts of police, fire and public safety organizations in Meridian Township, including Ingham County and the state of Michigan. “Innerview,” on the other hand, features guest experts taking a closer look into the workings of the township government, township plans, and services for community members, local events, and issues affecting residents. It has a talk show feel to it.

What responsibilities come with the job?

This job requires a lot of time management and planning. You have at least one story to do every week and if you are doing HOMTV, along with school like me, it can be a lot to handle. You have to make sure to stay on top of your game. To do so, it’s always good to set up your interviews right when you get an assignment. That way, if one falls through, you don’t get stuck.

How did this opportunity arise?

I heard about HOMTV from other students at Michigan State University that participated in the internship program there. I applied, interviewed, and received an internship with them for the fall. I was invited back for the spring, and I decided to stay and gain even more experience.

3 Reason you love HOMTV:

1) First off, I love HOMTV mainly for the experience. I would not be able to get this much hands-on experience anywhere else. You learn how interview, film, edit and do so much more. It has really helped me grow as a reporter and a person as well.

2) Secondly, the people there are great. You spend so much time at the station with the other interns and as a result, you create amazing friendships with people who have the same interests as you—a love for the news and storytelling.

3) Lastly, through HOMTV, you receive a lot of networking opportunities. There are so many HOMTV alumni with reporting and production jobs all over. A lot of them will take the time to give you feedback on your work and some of them may be able to help you out in the future when it comes to getting a job.

Favorite story you covered:

My favorite story I covered for HOMTV was probably the Connor McCowan trial. I have never been in a courtroom setting before, let alone a murder trial. The trial received national attention as well. It was cool for me to work on my story and compare it to the local stations WLNS and WLIX, as well as the world news that covered it on the day of the sentencing.

Other Campus Activities:

I spend most of my time at HOMTV, however, I am also involved with other things on campus. I am a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and used to hold the position of sisterhood chair. I am also Head of Morale for MSU Dance Marathon that raises money for The Cassie Hines Shoes Cancer Foundation. Lastly, I helped start up a club last year called The Spartan Broadcasters.

Favorite Spot on Campus:

My absolute favorite spot on campus is the Beaumont tower! I’ve always wanted to have a picnic there because it’s such a beautiful spot. I also, for those that are familiar with the tradition, want to get kissed by there one day. A girl can dream, right?

Best MSU Memory:

My best MSU memory… I have so many! I can’t think of a specific memory. But the best part of MSU has to be all of the amazing people I have met here.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I see myself on T.V. somewhere. My dream is to end up reporting in the Detroit market someday, but that may take a little longer than 10 years. I could see myself reporting for a station in Traverse City and hopefully, married. I’ve been working for this my whole life, so I can’t wait!

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso