Affordable Brands For Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you are a fellow broke college student that is trying to save some money, this article is for you. Here are a few of my favorite affordable brands everyone should know about.

Burt’s Bees Acne Solutions 

I have oily skin and this line was amazing for it. Not only is this brand 99.9 percent natural, it’s also affordable. Each product costs about $10.00 each and I think it works better on me that some other brands where I payed $30.00 or more. You can get it at Target, CVS or any drugstore.                                                                      

E.L.F.

I truly believe E.L.F. is SO slept on. E.L.F has great brushes which are each $1.00-$3.00 .I really like their primers and setting spray. I also have one of their palettes and it’s not half bad. E.L.F is also a cruelty free brand and a really affordable one. It can be found at any drug store.

imPRESS nails

Ever wanted to get an acrylic manicure but realize that those are like $50.00? Worry no more! I discovered this brand last year, around the time of prom. I was freaking out because I didn’t want to pay a lot of money for my nails since I already spent a lot of money on my dress, shoes, and hair. These nails are very easy to put on, and they stay on one to two weeks. They look like a real manicure but they’re only $5.00-$7.00. You can find them at Target, CVS, or any drugstore.

Kohl’s, JcPenney, Marshall’s, and T.J. Maxx

These department stores have everything at a really good price. And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING.  Need some furniture? They got it. Need a new mattress? They got it. Need a cute dress? They have it .Need some scented candles? They’ve. Got. It. Don’t underestimate them.

Forever 21

If you ever need a basic t-shirt or a bodysuit, this is the place to go to. It may be hard to find something without sparkles or sentences like, “Fries before guys,” but once you do, you’ll find some of the cutest and cheapest clothes ever.

NYX

This is another drug store makeup brand that I really like. I really like their  lipsticks, they’re really good, they stay on for a pretty long time, and they’re between $5.00-$7.00. I personally haven’t tried any other products but I have heard really good things about it. This brand is also certified as cruelty-free so that’s also a plus, and it can be found in any drugstore.

Dollar Tree

I mean, it doesn’t get cheaper than this. If you ever need a gift for someone or some school supplies, this is the place to go. And, as the name of the store says, everything’s a dollar. Not two, not five… but one dollar.

Other money saving tips:

• Don’t impulse or stress buy. Most of the time, you don’t need those things, you are just stressed and need to feel better about yourself.
  • Go straight to the sale section
  • Look online for coupons
  • Sell clothes you don’t wear
  • Subscribe to a bunch of newsletters. They might be annoying, but it’s a great way to know when big sales are going on.
  • Take advantage of student discounts
Maria graduated in 2021 with a major in Marketing and a minor in Sports Management. She was born in Barcelona, Spain, and enjoyed writting all types of content, from fun, non-political articles to sports blogs to articles discussing very critical issues. In the future, she hopes to be involved in the business aspect of a sports organization such as the NHL or La Liga.
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.