Accessories to Spring Your Wardrobe Into Summer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Conch shells and hemp anklets are great if you’re a surfer, but they won’t cut it if you want to look chic this summer.  Read on for some of the cutest summer trends and how to wear them!

White Bags

Update your classic black purse for a white hot one.  White is a much more summer friendly color and it’s still a neutral that will go with everything—so no need to worry!  White bags have been seen all over the runways including Marc Jacobs, Derek Lam, Chloe, and Nina Ricci.  If you’re looking to invest in a nice bag that you can use for years to come, white is it.  You can also find cute but budget friendly bags at Forever 21 like this one.

How to Wear:

Since white pretty much goes with anything, you could get away with making it your everyday staple.  A bag like this would pair well with a pastel or bright colored outfit.  If you’re daring, you could even go for an all-white look…tres chic!

[pagebreak]

Bib Necklaces

A statement necklace is a genius way to dress up a plain t-shirt.  This summer it’s all about the bib necklaces.  A beaded bib necklace lends a very boho vibe to an outfit, while choosing more metals and plastics will make it look modern.  Anthropology has a great selection of statement necklaces.

How to Wear:

Keep your outfit simple when rocking any kind of statement jewelry.  The focus should be solely on your necklace.  I like a white v-neck paired with a beaded boho necklace.  If you are going to wear color, I suggest wearing a colored shirt and plain bottoms.  I find most patterned shirts take away from the necklace so keep it simple!

[pagebreak]

Hats

Wearing a hat and pulling it off pretty much gives you ultimate cool girl status.  Whether it’s a fedora or a big-rimmed sunhat, you will look cool and be shielding your face from the sun!  Both of the hats pictured here are from J. Crew, but Target has some great hats out right now too!

How to Wear:

Take your time when choosing a hat.  The fit needs to be snug enough that if won’t fly off on a windy day but loose enough to not give you a headache.  You also need to find a hat that you’re comfortable wearing.  For example, I know my style doesn’t suit a fedora so I wouldn’t feel comfortable in one but I’m really excited to rock some big sunhats this summer.  Hats can seriously be worn with any type of outfit; you really just need to feel confident in order to rock it!

[pagebreak]

Statement Earrings

Another way to wear statement jewelry is with earrings.  I’ve been seeing a lot of turquoise beads and stones for summer.  Most statement earrings this summer are drop style.  A lot of celebs have even been sporting neck skimming ones, but whether they’re chunky or more streamlined, you will look fabulous without really trying!  Plus, I read once in Cosmo that guys are more drawn to long earrings than studs! ;)

How to Wear:

Since earrings are smaller than a necklace and less central, you can be a bit more relaxed with the rest of your outfit.  If you’re opting for those pretty turquoise beads, a little white dress is the perfect complement.  Generally, keeping the tones of your outfit the same is a good idea.  For example, if your earrings are wood or gold, keep the rest of the colors you’re wearing warm toned.

[pagebreak]

Nail Polish

While nail polish isn’t really an accessory, it’s more of a beauty product; I think it deserves a mention.  Celebrities have been seen wearing lots of fun colors on their nails and I’ve noticed the trend is catching on.  Bright colors have always been around in the nail polish world, but this summer it seems to be more about trying crazy colors.  Think pastel greens and purples, creamsicle inspired orange, and Tiffany’s blue.  Nail polish is such an easy way to try something new and brighten up your whole look.

How to Wear:

Anyway you want!  I love the look of having one statement nail.  If you’re artistically inclined, cute patterns are a huge trend to look into.  Try Googling nail art and see all the fantastic designs!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!