A Reflection on the Film ‘The Creator’: Computing The Future of Humans and the Expanding World of Technology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the New Year is far underway, it is normal to reflect on the events of the previous year. 2023 was packed with worldwide events, especially in the media. New game and movie releases, the rise and fall of international conflicts, and even reports of a new surge of Covid-19 all were prominent stories throughout the year. However, one question still stands. What does the future hold? 

One movie release takes a large interest in this question. ‘The Creator’, released Sept. 29, 2023, takes on a daunting task examining the world of Artificial intelligence (AI). This version of Earth’s future observes the world divided. With some in support of AI coexisting with humans, and others seeking to watch the demolition of all the AI and people of whom support the lifestyle of coexistence. The story follows Joshua, a soldier from America. Americans are against the expansion of AI to become a large population to live in harmony with humans. Joshua is tasked with finding the supreme creator of AI to destroy any advancements in this field for good.

Although there are two sides of the war, the audience is faced with a moral dilemma similar to Josh throughout the story. The countless AI lives that Joshua encounters is made incredibly real due to the Lend Your Likeness program. This is to give human appearance to the complex bots as they learn and interact with others, forming lives all their own. All with causes to protect their creator and his or her ideas. Many AI lives are spent caring for orphaned humans in the areas of Asia that are showcased in the movie. These families are no different from that of a completely human relationship. Emotional attachment forms to create a special bond between man and machine. 

The mechanical advancements are not limited to the AI population. Tracking devices, planes to the moon, war ships with their own farms, and large weapons are all advanced upon in this film. Many of these advancements are explored on the quest for victory throughout the journey the audience follows Joshua on. The American war ship is even seen to have a rotating artillery similar to that of an automatic weapon one could see today. The missiles are fired facing towards the ground perpendicularly. After launch they may go in many directions to maximize damage. I highly recommend this movie to any action or sci-fi fans. Not only for the aforementioned Artificial Intelligence population or technological advancements, but the thrilling, touching interactions throughout the story. Strong relationships and the gruesome sights of people struggling with the war pulls on the heartstrings of the audience. Viewers cannot help but feel empathetic towards the families being torn apart by this war. Fully facing the audience with their own decision on what he, she, or they would do if in Josh’s position. The Creator is currently available to watch on Hulu streaming services and out or purchase or rent on other platforms. 

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.