This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I learned a lot being on campus. Navigating through independence has been eventful. Even with all the mistakes I’ve made, I would never trade it in for anything because along with those mistakes I have met some fantastic people who I hope to carry with me life-long and have made some amazing memories that will always be good stories to tell. Most importantly, I learned a lot about myself and how I should approach difficult situations, which are irreplaceable skills. Here are some things I learned my first year on campus:

1. Go out in the fall semester and take advantage of warm weather

I learned this the hard way, but take advantage of good weather! I thought I had the whole year to go out and have fun with friends, so the introvert part of me often chose to stay the night in. However, once winter hit, I regretted not going out. Try to make your schedule less heavy in the fall semester and heavier in the spring semester. I did it the other way around and wish I had not. For the majority of spring it’s too cold to go out at night and so you’ll find yourself staying in more than expected, meaning you’ll have more time to work on classes (you should always prioritize school first tho!).

2. There will be consecutive going-out days

I was not ready for this one. The high school Bhavya would have absolutely thought this was a dream and it is, however, it becomes more hectic than you think. There will be weekends when something is going on consecutive days where you are constantly partying. That’s the best thing about college, you can get away with doing this and you gain the best memories of your life. However, those days become tiring and hard to get work done. So always plan ahead! Never keep something for last minute thinking you can get it done then. A lot of last minute plans are made, getting ready, conversing with friends, pictures, and pre-game events takes longer than you think and you can get carried away!

3. Study outside of home

I love staying warm and comfortable at home, but that also means I get easily distracted at home. While being home is so convenient, I found it is not the best place for me to be most productive and I can often give myself too many breaks or take it easy. Studying at a quiet library or student lounge area forces you to focus only on work and you get so much done! Plus, once you’re out of the library, you can use your time at home to relax and catch up with friends. I recommend getting in this habit immediately in the beginning of the school year so that it can become something you do out of practice. Trust me, you will thank yourself later!

4. Meal Prep

I think all students at this point who don’t rely on a meal plan have the habit of skipping meals or eating at irregular times. However, this is not healthy for you and can affect your concentration. My biggest tip is to prepare meals for the week! Most classes, meetings, and commitments are back to back meaning you might not have time to cook, so having something ready to eat is very helpful. Even if this means simply planning out what you will eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a sticky note the night before, it will help save time!

5. Pre-games are more fun than the actual party

I didn’t really expect this one, but once you find your friend group, nights with them are so much more fun and meaningful than the actual event itself. I did not think pre-games were this common in college, but definitely attend them if someone you know is hosting or host one yourself with your close friends! This is the time you get the most laughs, pictures, and best memories in. Plus, getting ready together is always the best!

6. Make sure you get your work done before you see friends

This goes hand in hand with studying outside of home, but definitely get all your work done before you see your friends. As much as you tell yourself you will only stay for a bit and get back to work, you never do. Time flies when you’re with friends, so get your work done before and if you have too much to do that day, prioritize school! You will find yourself hanging out with friends super late at night because that is when everyone is free, but that’s what college is and you make the best memories during them too!

7. Choose your housing wisely

Your living situation is very important as it directly impacts your concentration, mental, and sometimes even physical health. The logistics of your living in terms of space, noise, chores, and sharing are more important than the actual people. While you can absolutely love the people you are living with as persons, make sure you find a space that will allow you to concentrate and relax, but also have fun! You spend a huge chunk of your time at home!

8. Go home biweekly or whenever you can

If you can, try to go home biweekly or a couple times a month! Homesickness is a real thing and I didn’t think it was until college. Home becomes almost your rejuvenating, cleansing, and peaceful place. I totally understand this is not the case for everyone, but if it is for you, then you definitely should. I always felt refreshed and ready to start again after coming back from home, especially during tough weeks.

9. Have one day of the week where you do no school work

I don’t recommend doing this all the time. This is only for when you are having a busy exam week, crazy assignment week, or when your mental health is just not right. Usually, all your exams and assignments fall within the same week or weeks aligned together. Try to have a day off from school work to completely just relax and do whatever you want. Your body and mind needs it and it can be super helpful to get through tough times and reward yourself for all your hard work.

10. Start working out early!

I found working out just made me feel so much more productive, happy, and confident. I am not sure if I had been persistent and I often skipped days, especially during busy weeks. But, I wish I had started getting into the habit of the gym earlier right when fall semester started. It forces you to be active and it is the best way to get you awake if you are feeling lazy. Find a gym buddy! Going with friends makes it so much more fun and you are actually held accountable to go. It became almost like a hangout.

Overall, my best advice is to have fun! It will fly by and college is the time you can get away with having a lot of fun consecutively. You will make the best memories of your life with some amazing people that you will meet. Don’t overthink situations too much and be lenient and patient with your friends, roommates, and yourself. Not doing so only ruins your mental health and causes unnecessary tensions. So take it easy, but have your priorities set straight! Have fun!

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.