A College Student’s Guide to Spring Break

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As college students, it can be hard to plan a spring break vacation. Whether it be because of money or because it’s hard to get a group of friends on the same page, planning a trip can be a nightmare. As someone who just coordinated a last-minute trip to Nashville, here are some of my personal tips and tricks to help begin planning a spring break vacation.

Start with the “who”

The main question in planning a trip is who is going to go with you. Do you want it to be a romantic getaway or do you want to bring 20 of your closest friends? That’s the first step into planning because it determines which type of place you will stay at, who needs to drive or how many plane tickets you need to buy, and how much money you will be spending in total.  

Set a budget

AsI mentioned, these are just some of the steps I go through in the process of planning a trip. You may not need to worry about money, or you could have to set a tight budget. Either way, it is important to think about how much money you or your friends are willing to spend on a week-long trip. Doing this will decide if you rather stay close to home and do a small weekend road trip, or have to buy a plane ticket to go out of the country. Either way, it may be important to consider money when planning a trip. 

Pick a place

Now is the fun part! Picking a place to go is when it really gets exciting. However, it could also be the most lengthy part of the process, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to decide and talk it over with everyone who wants to go on the trip. I recommend making a pros and cons list of every place you are considering and having everyone sit down together to look over it.

Book the accommodations

Once you have chosen a location, it is now time to book a hotel or Airbnb! I recommend choosing a place that has many reviews or is very well-known. It is important that everyone feels comfortable and safe; if you try to find the cheapest option but it looks a little sketchy, just look for something else, trust me. Also, make sure it is generally close to where you want to visit. Personally, my friends and I are going to Nashville, so we chose a place that was within walking distance or a short Uber ride to the main part of the city. This will be more convenient when you want to go sightseeing or go out to dinner.

Make an itinerary 

Now that you have the hard parts out of the way, it is time to plan what you want to do when you finally travel to your destination. Do you want to try all of the popular restaurants? Would you like to see all of the museums? Do you want to go shopping? Is there an amusement park you really want to visit? All of this is up to you, but I recommend at least making a plan for what you want to see and do. This will ensure that you don’t get there and sit around for hours because no one can decide what they want to do. 

Boom, now you have a whole spring break trip planned. I hope my tips helped you plan your last-minute vacation. Have fun, be safe, and make new memories!

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.