8 Instagram Accounts Gen Z Can Use To Keep Up With Current Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When trying to keep up with the news and current events, I always struggled to find the best place for me to get all of my information. Being a part of Gen Z, I know many people use the internet and social media as a way to stay informed. Over the years, I have gathered seven Instagram accounts that I use to stay involved in the world of current events and politics. 

1. @Chnge

One of the very first accounts I started following was @chnge. Their account follows human rights and political issues across the world. Chnge posts several times a week to keep followers informed. With over 2 million followers, their feed covers human rights and inequality, voting and upcoming elections in the United States, women’s rights, climate change, and all things politics. Chnge also has a website, where they sell merchandise like clothes, cups, hats, and many other things. Chnge makes all merchandise with an emphasis on sustainable products that do not harm the environment and fair rights in their factories for their workers. Chnge is a great resource for progressive young adults wanting to be informed. 

2. @Impact

The next Instagram account that I followed for current events was @impact. Impact also posts daily, allowing followers frequent updates on news and events. They have a goal of pushing out content that will leave an impact on their followers. They post news relating to voting and voting rights, pop culture news, LGBTQIA+ related news, human rights, and many other pressing political issues and events. Impact has a website where you can register to vote, donate to relief funds such as the Hurricane Ian relief fund, or sign petitions for a ton of different causes. Impact gives followers the resources to make a change, which is one of the many reasons I have followed their feed for so long. 

3. @Environment

Speaking of @impact, they created a second Instagram account related to climate news called @environment. Environment is a great source that shows how to be proactive in protecting the environment, while also keeping up with climate crisis news. Their posts include stories of people dealing with water crises, tips for voting to protect the climate, explanations of the climate crisis, and tips for protecting the earth. This account is a great tool to follow. Since following this account, my knowledge of climate change has expanded immensely. Their account is great for all people interested in climate change and the earth in general. 

4. @Feminist 

Another great account is @feminist. Their account encourages all people to be feminists while keeping up with women’s rights and the news that surrounds it. Their account focuses on many different aspects of the news. They share posts about supporting body images, current issues around the world when it comes to women, politics, and voting. Their account empowers all people to be supportive of women’s rights and expresses the everyday issues so many people face today. This is a very informative account to guide anyone through how important women’s rights are. 

5. @NowThisNews

The next account that I gather my news from is @nowthisnews. Their account takes a bit of a different approach when posting content than some of the other ones I follow. They post short videos or news articles about daily breaking topics. It focuses solely on current events across a wide range of topics. They cover a wide range of news, including but not limited to pop culture, politics, breaking news, and many other broad topics. The account posts several times a day, giving followers many options of news they can choose to engage with. They also have a website their followers can access. It is a great account for someone looking to follow a wide range of topics, from something that may seem like a heavy topic to something that is light and fun to read. 

6. @NowThisPoltics

If you are a fan of @nowthisnews but want more information regarding politics, this next account is for you. @Nowthispolitics is an account from NowThis that focuses solely on politics. It is set up and runs the same way that @nowthisnews does. Their account is progressive leaning and focuses on politics not only in the United States but all over. They also provide information about voting early and voting in general. They report breaking political news from all over the world. This is a great account to follow if you enjoy NowThis and want to get a better understanding of politics. 

7. @Politico and 8. @OnTheCampaignTrail

The next two accounts are similar to NowThis. The account @politico, reports everyday news regarding politics and policies. They share videos and informational posts to inform people interested in politics with the latest news. They also have a website that viewers are able to access for more updates. Another account called @onthecampaigntrail, by Politico, is a great way for people to get educated on voting. Being a first time voter, this account was very helpful when needing to learn how elections work and who is running for which positions. Both of these accounts are great information centers for people interested in voting and politics to gain a better understanding. 

Being a part of Gen Z, it is important to learn about ways to stay informed. Nowadays a lot of people’s everyday lives revolve around the internet and social media. This list of accounts has helped me navigate important issues and topics. Being in a generation full of force and willingness to make a change is a blessing – and I hope by staying informed and educating ourselves, everyone is able to contribute to this change. 

Maggie is a Freshman majoring in International Relations at Michigan State University. She loves to read and write. In her free time she loves to travel, hang out with friends, and try new things!