This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

So you’ve found yourself in quarantine. Whether this is due to a positive test, a possible exposure, or because you are self isolating before returning home for the holidays┄you are stuck in a small room and running out of things to keep you occupied. Maybe you’ve finished that Netflix show you were bingeing or maybe you’re just trying to kill time before the latest Grey’s Anatomy episode comes out (trust me, I am with you there!) Or maybe you’re like me and searching for some way to feel productive again. Whatever it is for you, here are some ideas of what to do  while you are in quarantine. 

1. Declare your major

This may seem straightforward, but many college students have not formally declared their major. At MSU, students are required to do this by the time they reach junior class standing, and if they don’t, there may be delays in class enrollment or access to your transcript. If you know what major you are pursuing, schedule a meeting with your advisor to get it declared! For some, it might be that easy, however if you have multiple majors across disciplines, this could become an annoying and lengthy process. Advising meetings are all being conducted over Zoom so why not get this done from your quarantine location? It will be one less hassle to deal with later. The best news? If you change your mind or course of study, it is just as easy to change it at a later date!

2. Research minors or additional majors

Most universities, especially ones the size of MSU, offer versatile majors and minors that can be really daunting to cipher through . This can be a great way to spend time in quarantine. There are several online resources that detail what courses need to be taken and summarize the subject areas of all the minors offered. Are you moving through your major very quickly and wondering how you’re going to fill the extra credit hours? Maybe you want to consider adding an additional major. This information is all available online as well. Take a look! There is no time like the present. 

3. Work on your academic plan

If you already know what you want to study, have you taken the time to lay out exactly how you’re going to do it? If not, now is a great time to look through your degree requirements and figure out what to take in which semester so that your schedule  best fits your academic, and personal, life. This will allow you to schedule your toughest classes around your work schedule or athletic season to set you up for  success. 

4. Get a jump start on graduate school research

Do you know what you want to do after you graduate with a bachelor’s degree? Have you considered graduate school? Do you know you want to go on to medical or dental school? Whether you’ve always planned on this step or you’ve never considered it, being in quarantine gives you space and quiet to look into it. Research acceptance requirements, application processes, and different programs you might want to visit when travel restrictions are lifted. 

5. Organize your technology

If you are anything like me; your computer, cell phone and tablet are full of old files and old scanned homework assignments. Take some time to organize these, delete duplicates, and clear off space for the next semester’s worth of downloads. Do you really need your high school history papers? Do they need to take up space on your hard-drive? Consider transferring files into a Google Drive to clear off space to make your devices run faster and more reliably. After all, who doesn’t want their technology to be as reliable as possible right now?

6. Send Holiday Cards

Whether you have a long standing tradition of sending cards during the holidays or you have never been one to add another holiday to-do, consider getting a jump start! It’s no secret that the holidays will not look the same as before. This might mean virtual Thanksgiving Dinners or not seeing out of town friends and family. While a card will never make up for the lack of physical closeness and quality time, in these unusual times it may be the best that we can do. So take some time in quarantine to write to the people you love and tell them that you miss them, how much they matter to you, that the holidays could never be the same without them, and why you are thankful for them. 

7. Clean!

I could break this into a million subpoints, but I’m pretty sure you are all familiar with the idea of cleaning. If you’re quarantining in your dorm room, take this time to clean EVERYTHING! Wipe down the walls, door handles, desk tops, dresser drawers, hangers, bed frames, windows┄ basically anything and everything. If you’re quarantining at home, go through your closet or that pile of stuff you’ve been meaning to deal with but haven’t had time to get to. Big or small, cleaning up the space you are stuck in will make quarantine a little more manageable and can prevent the walls from feeling like they are closing in around you. (**TIP: If you end up going through stuff and have items you want to get rid of, don’t throw them away! Most thrift stores and donation centers are still taking donations. They have their own sanitizing process and your old items could be exactly what somebody else needs. If you have questions, call your local donation center and ask about contactless donations!)

All in all, nobody wants to quarantine. Even those of us who re-tweet memes about “self isolation being the gift introverts have been asking for” are not meant to be completely alone for long periods of time. If you’re bored out of your mind or want  to feel better, try some of the ideas above. Don’t forget to be kind to yourself. We have never seen anything like this before and it’s okay if you’re not productive or don’t have the energy. The holidays are stressful for everyone and this year is going to be different,  so don’t put added pressure on yourself. It’s okay if all you do in quarantine is wait to see why Meredith Grey is on that beach and finish another Netflix bingeing adventure. However, if you feel up to trying something else, I hope this list can give you some ideas. Happy Quarantining… and as much as it sucks, the world thanks you for doing your part. 

Erika is a pre-med honors student in the Lyman Briggs college at MSU. With 3 majors there isn't a lot of time for much else but she loves writing whenever she can, going on spontaneous adventures, and thinks there is nothing better than late-night (early morning) conversations with your closest friends.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.