7 Powerful Quotes Eric Thomas Uses to Impact Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Michigan State University alumnus, Eric Thomas – the “Hip Hop Preacher” – has been spreading empowering success tips all around the world as a motivational speaker. As of September 2016, Thomas has visited MSU every Tuesday, giving students the mindset needed to stay on top of their school work and make advances in their college career. His Success Series has been powerful to many students, and here are seven quotes that have impacted his listeners.  

“It’s not what you get – it’s about what you keep – that makes you successful.”

Thomas emphasizes that anyone can give you anything, but if it has value and stays around for the long run, it is a visual of your success.

“Act like it’s the first day!”

A majority of students start college with excitement and goals for the school year. As time progresses, students get adjusted to college living and the excitement that they started off with may decrease as time passes. Act like it’s the first day to remain excited and have the drive to achieve your goals.

“People treat you like you make them treat you.”

This quote focuses on respect. We will encounter many different people in the world, and how we get treated is not their decision, but our own.

“A fool will see something that doesn’t work and keep doing it.”

Errors are bound to happen on a college campus, but that’s where growth begins. After recognizing faults, we would be a fool not to learn from these mistakes.

”A lie don’t have legs – it can’t stand.”

Thomas said his mom told him this all the time as he was growing up. It must be the reason why he’s so honest when he speaks.

“When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, then you will be successful.”

This is one of Thomas’ most famous quotes. If you want to be successful, you have to really want it – want it as much as you want to breathe and be alive.

“Average skill; phenomenal will.”

Everyone is born with different talents and abilities, but everyone also struggles with things they may need to take that next step to success. Your will is what will help you make it – because anyone can learn a skill.

Ashley Reed is a freshman at Michigan State University. Her major is Electronic (Broadcast) Journalism and she aspires to become a TV personality, or in her words "the female version of Ryan Seacrest". Ashley is a very outgoing young lady with a bubbly personality and strives to work smarter and network to reach her goals. Ashley grew up in Detroit, MI and has a passion for writing on fashion, entertainment and current events. She loves creating new experiences and making new friends and is enjoying her college career. She has her own YouTube Channel Ashley Tioni as well as a small company - The BELLE Society, which focuses on girl empowerment. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @ashleytioni
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian