6 Reasons why Stardew Valley is the Perfect Way to Pass Time in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Since the pandemic is nearing its one-year mark here in the United States, I’ve been reflecting back on the beginning of this strange year of my life. Although this year definitely hasn’t been the easiest for me, one thing that kept me sane was the farming RPG Stardew Valley. Even if you’re not huge into video games, here are six reasons why I recommend Stardew Valley to get you through quarantine until you finally get that needed vaccine.

The art and music

One thing that often separates great games from good games is the visual and audio experience. I’ve never been a huge fan of pixelated art styles before, so I was originally hesitant about Stardew’s pixel sprite designs. However, I definitely wasn’t prepared for how detailed and beautiful some of the backdrops of the game would be. The art is able to capture so many heartfelt moments with the game’s unique cast of characters that make the valley feel so real and magical at the same time, not without help from the amazing soundtrack. As the music changes with the seasons and locations, it ranges from whimsical to high energy to slow and calming, reflecting the mood of each location and time perfectly.

Endearing characters

Speaking of characters, the game is full of unique and colorful characters. One aspect of other games that I dislike about other RPG games is the sometimes lack of depth to non-playable characters, which is not an issue in Stardew. The player can get to know most of the game’s characters through heart events, which are special cutscenes that play as you interact with them and spend more time with them. The characters deal with surprisingly heavy things for a game about farming – alcoholism, loss, homelessness, family problems, etc, which makes them all the more multi-faceted, realistic, and empathetic. They’re also especially loveable too, which leads me to…

Marriage

One thing that Stardew Valley improves on over some of its predecessors in the RPG department is the ability to marry anyone, regardless of the player’s gender. While this itself might not be a huge step, the game also contains unique dialogue if you have the same gender as your partner. As an LGBT+ person myself, having the ability to reflect my experiences in RPG games means so much to me. I hope that this kind of inclusion in games can help people become more comfortable with themselves and have a better experience in gaming because of it.

The escapism factor

The pandemic has completely overhauled how our world functions and it’s definitely exposed some of the deeper rot that’s been eating away at our societies over decades. So a game where there is no pandemic to worry about every time I leave the house was already appealing to me. However, that doesn’t mean that the game is completely devoid of political messages; the reason the player character moves to the valley in the first place is to escape their soul crushing dead-end job working for a megacorporation. While I’ve definitely fantasized myself about leaving for a small farm somewhere else, the game is very realistic in that it shows you that becoming a farmer is not easy. You start the game with little energy and money to do your daily farm tasks, and have to work to increase your abilities slowly over time. You also aren’t completely free from your old corporate overlords, either, as the town you move to is struggling because of the introduction of one of their stores. While it might seem silly, the game seriously made me question and analyze the impact of these kinds of corporations on small communities like the one found in the game.

An amazing developer

The developer of the game, ConcernedApe (aka Eric Barone), created everything in the game himself: the art, music, code, etc, and is still releasing new content for the game every now and then to draw more people in. He’s also very in touch with his fans, and takes time out of his day to respond to bug reports and even fix corrupted game files if asked. The game’s heart is very clearly the product of the dedication and work put into it by its creator.

There’s something for everyone

While farming is the main premise of Stardew Valley, that’s nowhere near the only feature of the game. The player can do everything from fishing to mining to fighting monsters, as well as discover hidden events and content throughout the valley. 

There is no penalty for not completing anything on time, and the game relies on the pace that you set for it. I know I myself have logged dozens and dozens of hours into the game, and I still am finding new things each time I play. There’s something special to be found for anyone who decides to play.

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.