The 6 Best Acne-Clearing Remedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Acne haunts us all. The war on acne may feel unstoppable, but you can minimize its effects by using countless home and store-bought remedies. Here are our six favorite tried-and-true methods to keeping your skin clear.

1. Toothpaste

$0.99 at Target

Through personal experience, toothpaste reduces the redness of blemishes and acts as a drying agent against oily areas (I use whatever toothpaste I have open at the time, which is currently Colgate).

2. Tea Tree Oil

$22 at Ulta

Tea tree oil is a drying agent. The smell isn’t great, but in times of crisis, tea tree oil always comes through.

3. LUSH Cosmetics: Face Masks

$8.95-$26.95 at LUSH Cosmetics

LUSH Cosmetics is an amazing company. Their products are all-natural, vegan and cruelty-free. Morally, they are the picture of excellence for cosmetic companies, but it doesn’t end there. LUSH products are nearly magical in their ability to keep complexions clear and acne free. My personal favorite mask is their Don’t Look At Me mask (2.1 oz for $12.95), but seeing as it needs to be refrigerated I always buy the non-refrigerated masks. Cup O’ Coffee (5.2 oz for $10.95) and Mask of Magnaminty (4.4 oz for $14.95) are both amazing masks that work wonders.

4. ADVIL Gel Capsules

40 ct. / $8.99 at Walgreens

Although the ibuprofen capsules are most commonly used to cure headaches, I found that by penetrating the capsule, you can take a cotton swab and apply the liquid to blemished areas, curing you of the pimples.

5. Elizavecca Milky Piggy – Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask

$9.00 at Memebox

This masks cleans your face takes excess makeup out of your pores and makes your skin super soft. Not only does it work wonders for your skin, it is also interactive! This face mask bubbles as it cleanses, and you can pat it down and it bubbles again. This is such a fun mask to do with friends!

6. Noxzema Anti-Blemish Pads

$3.99 at Target

If your face feels dirty or oily, you might just want a quick fix. Noxzema Anti-Blemish Pads give you just that. I even use them after I shower. They are very convenient to have on hand when needed.

Everyone has different skin types. Some people have oily skin, some people have neutral skin and some have dry skin – and all of those are OK! Find what works best for you, and stick with it.

I watch an excessive amount of Netflix and I enjoy a good nap.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian