Desk setup?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk setup?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

5 Ways to Stay Productive While Quarantined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It is extremely difficult to stay productive at home when you have adapted to studying on a college campus, but due to the circumstances, staying home is unavoidable. Here are five ways to stay on task and still have time for fun while you are quarantined.  

Make a To-Do List

The best way to stay on track with your classes and on top of your work, assignments, and exams is to make a to-do list. Color coding your to-do list based on your classes is a step up from a general to-do list as it helps you designate tasks into categories and also makes your list colorful! Make sure to add deadlines for each assignment or task on your to-do list to make sure you don’t accidentally miss a deadline. To-do lists don’t only have to be for school, they can be for other tasks as well! Just make sure you categorize your tasks to keep on top of things.

Block Out Time in Your Calendar

It is easy to get distracted at home by other tasks, siblings, parents, and your devices. One way to stay on task is to block out a specific time of your day, keeping this time constant every day, just to work on your assignments and to study. This should be a good amount of time, around 4-5 hours depending on how much you need to get done, and stay away from distractions during this time, focusing merely on the work you need to get done. After this time, you can go do whatever you want, but make sure to stay focused during these crucial hours.

Set Focus Timers

It is very difficult to stay focused for long periods of time while trying to study. Setting focus timers could help you if you have this problem. Focus timers are timers that you set for 20-30 mins where you focus for that period of time and give yourself a 5-10 min break after as a reward. This not only motivates you to get through that short 20-30 mins in order to get a break but also keeps you focused because you know that you will soon get the time to go on your device or get distracted.

Lock Yourself In

When you are at home quarantined, it is easy for you to get distracted by your family in the house or other noises around the house. In order to stay focused and productive in your time at home, it is important for you to select a dedicated study spot where you can avoid distractions, and always study there, making sure that your family understands that they should not disturb you when you are there. For many people, this may be a study room or a bedroom. Make sure it is not an open spot like the kitchen counter, dining table, or living room couch as those are common places to get distracted by family.

Wake Up and Sleep On Time

It is important not to mess up your sleep schedule during your time in quarantine. You need to remember that you are still attending online classes and still have work to get done so staying up late watching movies or playing video games on a weekday should be avoided. Set a sleep schedule as you would if you were on campus, and stick to it. When your brain gets enough rest, you will be more productive throughout the day.

Being quarantined during the school year is extremely difficult for every student. It is important to stay on task and focused during this time and make sure to remind yourself that you are not on vacation.

I am a freshman at Michigan State University with a major in Human Biology. I plan to go to Michigan State University's medical school through the Osteopathic Medical Scholars Program to pursue a career in OBGYN. I love to dance, sing and play tennis. In my free time, I like to watch Netflix and take long naps. I am a Friends enthusiast and am fluent in Friends quotes.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!