Wellness

5 Ways to Improve Your Days When Learning from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Life has changed a lot since COVID-19. Here are some ways to make it feel like you are not living in an active pandemic!

Do something different each day 

This is one aspect of life that a lot of us have missed out on since the pandemic started. Before the pandemic, we did this whether we realized it or not. For example, you knew it was Tuesday because you always went to work on Tuesday or had a quiz, etc. Now try having sweatpant Tuesdays or reading Wednesdays. This may sound overly simple but if you find things you enjoy it can make each week a lot more fun. Maybe try doing your work somewhere different one day a week. Or call a grandparent. The possibilities are endless, but I know for me, setting up a schedule in this way has helped tremendously.

Take Advantage of the amount of flexibility in your schedule  

With classes being fully or mostly online, everyone has more flexibility in their schedule. Yes we still have to go to class and have deadlines, but that’s pretty much it. If you’re someone who thrives on a nine-to-five timeline, all the power to you. But if you’re like me and would rather take a nap at two PM for three hours, you can! Nothing is stopping you. Do your homework at four AM, hang out with friends at one PM. For anyone who thrives being able to make their own schedule, this is your time. I’ve personally found that I need a long break in the afternoon and function best when I do work in the morning and at night. Play around with your schedule and see what honestly works best for you. I know it sounds crazy at first but being up at 4 am when everything is dead silent is a very exhilarating work experience and I encourage everyone to try it. 

Try to add excitement to your days

One issue that I kept running into was that I was just bored. Even though I added fun activities throughout the week, I missed the excitement of going out into the world every day without knowing what could happen. When I’m busy and don’t have time, I make a list of everything that I want to do. Then, I write each thing on a sticky note and put it in a hat. Now, everyday I pick something to do out of the hat. It sounds so simple but it honestly makes it so much more exciting and has fulfilled the missing element of surprise in my life.

Try learning and practicing mindfulness

This is a big one. For me recently it has kind of felt like every day is a blur. This really bothered and concerned me. There’s lots of amazing meditation apps out there for meditation for beginners. My personal favorite is Headspace. Headspace is $70 for an annual subscription, which works out to about $5.83 a month. You can get a free trial for a week and there is some free content available. Honestly, I was super skeptical before I tried it but honestly it has improved my day to day life. 

Create a workout routine 

Working out consistently has so many more advantages than just getting in shape. It can help decrease depression and anxiety, help you sleep better, and even increase your focus. Even if this semester is a busy one for you, try to not look at working out as a chore or something that takes away from your study time, look at it as something to improve your studying. If you’re not crazy about working out or just haven’t in awhile, take it slow at first. I know that whenever I think about running I inwardly groan, but after I run I feel amazing. If you currently have a toxic relationship with working out try to change your mindset about it. 

These tips have helped me to make more out of these days at home and honestly some days I am perfectly happy with the fact that I don’t have to get dressed or can sleep more if I want. Life is about making the most of your circumstances no matter what they are. If we take this time to learn and master this skill we will all be more resilient to hard times. 

I am a freshman at Michigan State. I am studying physiology on a Pre-medical track. I love writing about current events and advice. I hope that my articles are helpful and informative.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.