This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

College is hard enough as is, so transitioning to online classes is far from ideal for many students. As we approach the 1 month anniversary of starting college online, I wanted to share 5 of the things I have learned about surviving online school.

Get an Agenda. . .

…and most importantly, use it! I cannot tell you enough how much my agenda has already helped me this school year. It is so easy to get caught up in each class and forget due dates, so with somewhere to write them all down, the problem goes away. I personally use a physical, paper agenda, but I know others have really enjoyed online calendars too.

Make Weekly or Daily To-Do Lists

You might be able to tell that organization is one of my favorite things, but it does actually work! Make daily or weekly to-do lists so that you can give yourself a mini celebration every time you complete a task. It keeps you motivated to continue and also allows you to be more productive. In my experience, setting a list of things to get done the night before keeps you focused on your goals the next day and makes you more likely to achieve them.

Stay Active

Especially at the beginning of quarantine, I really focused on being more active and it helped my mental state a ton. College is stressful and taking the time to take care of yourself can relieve some of the stress and make you happier overall. It doesn’t have to be extreme either! Even just taking a 10-minute walk around your neighborhood or doing a 15 minute Youtube workout will motivate you, while keeping you physically healthier at the same time.

Dress Up or Look Cute (Sometimes!)

It’s easy to fall into the trap of rolling out of bed and sitting at your computer in your pajamas all day, but try not to do it every day! Even with nowhere to go, I have noticed that by doing my hair or makeup or putting on cute clothes, I feel much more motivated to get my stuff done. Don’t mistake cute for uncomfy either! Sweats can be super cute… but just putting in a bit of effort brings a sense of normalcy to online school, since it’s what you may have been doing in-person as well.

Take Brain Breaks

Finally, take breaks! As a pre-med student, I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed and caught up in all of the due dates, especially in asynchronous classes, but take time for yourself sometimes. Find a hobby you enjoy or spend time with family and friends and leave your laptop at home. Don’t burn yourself out!

Bonus Tip:

Get things done earlier in the week so you can take time to fully enjoy your weekend (or even start it early!). Procrastination is easy online, but don’t let it catch up to you! Avoid unnecessary stress and get it done early so you can treat yourself to a long weekend of relaxing.

You can do it! It sounds cliché but it’s true. Online school can be overwhelming and daunting, but push through and get that damn degree!

Lauren is a second-year student at Michigan State and is excited to join the Her Campus staff this year! She from Holt, MI and was in journalism in high school, which is where she found a passion for it that she hopes to pursue through HCMSU. She enjoys exercising, spending time with friends and family, attending concerts, sushi, and fostering animals!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.