5 Things To Do When Single on Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As February begins, the majority of people are thinking about Valentine’s Day. There are typically two types of people during this time: those who are thinking about what to get their significant other, and those who are thinking about what to do that day. Personally, I have shifted over from person one to person two. I created a couple of ideas of what to do on Valentine’s Day when you’re single, or even if you’re not able to see your significant other that day. 

The first thing you can do is hangout with your friends. Whether they’re your single friends or your taken friends, seeing them can fill your day with happiness. Something that has been popular in recent years is Galentine’s Day, which is getting all your girls together and having your own little party. No matter what you choose to do with them, spending this time with your friends can help to get over the feelings of loneliness or sadness that one may feel during this day. 

Spending a night in with movies and takeout is another great way to spend V-Day. As simple as this seems, having a night in alone, or with friends, can allow you to relax at home. Similar to the first idea, having your own little party, even if it’s just you, can provide relief to sadness and loneliness by doing something mindless. 

The third thing you can do is cook a nice dinner or go out to your favorite restaurant. Cooking always helps me to relieve stress. On the other hand, going out to your favorite restaurant is such a treat. Personally, cooking something nice for myself fills me with love and gives me a sense of pride. 

The fourth thing you can do is buy something nice for yourself. It can be as simple as chocolate, or it can be nicer, such as flowers or jewelry. You don’t need another person to make you feel loved – you can do it all on your own. 

If all else fails, take the time to unplug and relax. There’s nothing better than not using your phone for a day and just allowing yourself to relax without the constant reminders of social media. You don’t have to think about others, and can focus on yourself. 

Whatever you choose to do on Valentine’s Day, just remember that there is love all around you in many different forms. You don’t need a significant other to make you feel loved. Do what makes you feel happy and have fun.

Emily is an Advertising Management student attending Michigan State University. She graduated from a small school in Northern Michigan where she was a member and leader in student government, National Art Honor Society, National Honor Society, and Youth Advisory Council (Y.A.C.); serving roles in each. When she goes home for school breaks and the summer, she works as a sales associate and the social media manager for her local hardware store. She enjoys working on the store layout while in person as well as posting weekly on social media accounts to keep their customers informed of what products they have and the services they can assist with while away at college. In her free time Emily likes to attend concerts, listen to music, watch movies, go on hikes or walks, and spend time with her friends and family. She loves 80s movies and music with her favorite movie being Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves to play soccer and volleyball, playing both since she was a kid. She is excited to get the opportunity to write for Her Campus and be a part of this community.