ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to do before summer starts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Summer time is right around the corner, believe or not. After this  strange and difficult school year, we should start preparing for the summer to make sure we have a good time and make the most of it. Here are a few things that we should do before summer starts to make sure we don’t have any worries. Summer is all about relaxing and focusing on yourself, so doing these things before it starts will make your transition to summer much more smoother.

Get your skin checked:

More people each year get diagnosed with skin cancer than any other cancer. Since we’ll likely be exposing ourselves to the sun we should make sure that our skin is in good condition. Besides getting our skin checked we should also go to a doctor’s appointment just to make sure we’re on top of all our medical needs before the summertime begins.

Stock up on toiletries:

Make sure to stock up on all important toiletries—  especially the travel size ones. Sometimes we might unexpectedly leave for vacation or we are sure  that we have that product, when in reality it’s better to be safe than sorry. Make a list of all the essentials for summer days and stock up on them because once summertime arrives everyone will be looking for the same products, and you might not get all of the products you need for your last minute vacation.

Prep a disaster kit:

It’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s important to have a disaster kit since this time is when natural disasters usually hit. It’s good to focus on the fun part of summer, but we should always remember that disasters are always a possibility that  many of us are not ready for. Have a bag or a special kit for when a disaster hits, so you don’t need to worry about gathering essentials, just grab the kit and get to safety.

Pledge to stay hydrated:

During those hot summer days anyone is bound to get easily dehydrated, which obviously isn’t good for you. Many people find it rewarding to get a new water bottle to motivate them to stay hydrated, but besides that, you can consume fruits and veggies that help you stay hydrated. If you’re not a huge fan of water because it doesn’t have any taste, try adding some flavorful additions such as lemon or mint.

Be safe!:

When we think of summer we think of vacations and being outside with all of our friends, but we’re still in the middle of a pandemic which means we should still maintain social distancing and wear our masks when in groups of people. There are plenty of safe ways to have fun, and the more responsible we are, the sooner everything will be back to “normal”.

There are many other things to take into consideration, but these are some of the essentials that most of us need to remember for this summer. Summer is a time to unwind, but always remember to take care of yourself and of those around you. It’s important to be safe during this summer considering there’s a pandemic, since vaccines are becoming available for more people, whenever you get the chance to get vaccinated, please do so! It’s important for everyone to be responsible and safe.

I am a Senior from Puerto Rico going to Michigan State University to major in Psychology. My goal is obtain a psyD in Neuropsychology or Clinical Psychology and open my practice to help children and people who need help.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.